Working in Underserved Communities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOx777

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any clinicians have long-term experience working in these types of communities? Could you talk about the trials, tribulations, and triumphs associated in dealing with these populations and demographic areas? I know at least 4 of the schools I applied/accepted to did pro-bono work for inner-city urban areas in Philadelphia and New York, and I thought it was a phenomenal idea; however I also understand some of the challenges associated with these communities as well. Those clinicians working in rural and lack of access communities, please chime in as well, for they too obviously fall under the umbrella of under-served. If nothing more, I would like to hear anecdotal information. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely like to hear from someone, especially since we have the option of some loan forgiveness for working in an under served community for 2 or 4 years (I believe). I wonder if anyone has taken this route after graduating and can explain the pros/cons?

What is the latest on the issue of loan forgiveness for PTs? I saw that this was introduced to health committees for debate, but is there any more news on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the latest on the issue of loan forgiveness for PTs? I saw that this was introduced to health committees for debate, but is there any more news on this?

There is a PSLF (Public Service Loan Forgiveness) that has been in place for a while now, but requires 10 years of service. I called Nelnet who services my loans and they said it has not been in place for 10 years yet so she wasn't too sure how to handle my hypothetical questions, but here is what I remember from her advice....

If you work 10 years in a qualifying setting, no gaps in employment, and have made 120 on-time payments toward your student loans, whatever remains after 10 years will be forgiven.

I asked, well, couldn't I just extend the repayment period from my loan or use IBR/ICR to get lower monthly payments just to have the remainder forgiven after the 10 years? She said yes, but... if I ever have a gap in employment (moving far away, etc...) or make a late payment, I would no longer qualify. Then... because I have been making such small payments, interest has been accruing like crazy on my principal and I am still responsible for paying off the loan.

It's a great program in theory, but I personally wouldn't rely on having loan forgiveness after 10 years because who knows what will happen in life... let alone whether or not you even want to work in one of the qualifying settings?

Here is a link to the PSLF: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PSF.jsp

PTs need to get tacked into programs such as NHSC. We have not thus far, although counselors and family therapists certainly qualify. Our services were downgraded when this plan was carved out.
http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

The APTA, seems to be trying to lobby for govt loan reimbursememt, but things haven't panned out that well for us so far.

There exists some specific state-by-state plans so far for underserved, but not much out there. I think I read NY has a program that includes PT, probably in upstate I'm sure.

Oh, and unless I owed greater >200K+ in debt, I would never consider signing away my future on the government to pay for my loans in 10 years public service. Trusting the govt. to keep me under lock for 10 years is almost as poor a deal as PT's who pay 120K on their schooling in the first place.

Oh, some large PT recruiting companies will help pay back student loans, most locations are usually not that populated so I guess that's serving an 'underserved' community even though the funds are privately sourced.