Working in OZ with the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwissMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm nearing the end of med school here in Switzerland and I'd like to work a couple of years in either Australia or the US after 2 years of clinical experience in my own country.
After spending countless hours trying to obtain some sort of an overview over the australian health system I've learned that the USMLE exam allows US trained doctors to work in Australia provided that they've worked for at least two years in the US. So here is my question:

If I pass the USMLE Step 1 + 2 + 3 exams and work for at least two years in Switzerland, would that be considered equivalent (http://www.amc.org.au/index.php/ass/apo/cap)? Because if it is not I'll have to be sure what country to chose first before taking any exam...

Thanks for any help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No the USMLE does not count for you. Under the Competent Authority pathway, You must have:

1) Successful completion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 since 1992, AND
2) Successful completion of a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.

You would be required to sit the AMC exams in order to get general registration.

I get a kick out of how it's two years for the US while one for the other CAP countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
True. I suppose part of it may be that MDs in the USA, in general, do not do a rotating internship and are not exposed to all the areas that interns in other countries are exposed during the year.

Doesn't really mater - if you were trained in the USA, it would be nuts to try to migrate to Australia without having Board Certification anyway, IMHO.

Really??? Well apparently i havent done enough research on this. Getting into australia is indeed difficult, more so without PR. Thanks for the info