Working in correctional facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if any of you had a chance to work in correctional facilities or prisons I have a locums opportunity that is offering a position there for 3 to 6 months any feedback would be appreciated thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any personal experience, but I work with a residency program and as a part of their community med curriculum we toured a jail and their medical facilities. The doctors that worked there seemed to really love it and most had been working there for many, many years. The doctor that gave us the tour told us that they operate under a different set of rules and budget than the jail rules and budget (sorry I forget the technical terms). Therefore they have a lot of leniency of the money that they spend and essentially can get any treatment for a patient that is needed. There goal is truly to take care of the health of the people that are there regardless of their alleged crime. So if a patient needs a chemo treatment that costs 50k then they get it. Therefore she said it was very rewarding to be able to take care of people without having to worry about insurance/payment issues, especially for patients that are most in need as is often the case in jail settings. Obviously working in a jail certainly has it's challenges, but I do think there can be positive aspects and I've thought about it. Obviously locums is likely a little different and I'd be sure to do your best to get a clear picture of what you'd be getting yourself in to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any personal experience, but I work with a residency program and as a part of their community med curriculum we toured a jail and their medical facilities. The doctors that worked there seemed to really love it and most had been working there for many, many years. The doctor that gave us the tour told us that they operate under a different set of rules and budget than the jail rules and budget (sorry I forget the technical terms). Therefore they have a lot of leniency of the money that they spend and essentially can get any treatment for a patient that is needed. There goal is truly to take care of the health of the people that are there regardless of their alleged crime. So if a patient needs a chemo treatment that costs 50k then they get it. Therefore she said it was very rewarding to be able to take care of people without having to worry about insurance/payment issues, especially for patients that are most in need as is often the case in jail settings. Obviously working in a jail certainly has it's challenges, but I do think there can be positive aspects and I've thought about it. Obviously locums is likely a little different and I'd be sure to do your best to get a clear picture of what you'd be getting yourself in to.

I've heard the exact opposite.
Also, I feel like that's highly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think that ?

This is a known vulnerable population that's being placed in a privatized incarceration system that's trying to maximize profit.. what do you think will happen? lol

I've had prisoners come to my clinic (ortho), who come with documentation of what work up / treatments they've had and its basically a big check list of select medications available for a general condition. Sort of like looking at the target $4 drug list. Very basic.

Prison docs are also expected to see/do things that everyday PCP's may not do (as being out of scope). I forgot where, but there was a case somewhere someone posted about having to do Full thickness tongue lac. repairs.