Working in Australia with US degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrea368

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently applying to US dental schools. However, a little while ago I got the chance to study abroad in Australia and fell in love with it there. Does the US and Australia have any reciprocity agreements in recognizing degrees? Is it easier to practice in Australia with a US degree or vice versa?

Just wondering if perhaps it would be wiser to apply to Australian schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm currently applying to US dental schools. However, a little while ago I got the chance to study abroad in Australia and fell in love with it there. Does the US and Australia have any reciprocity agreements in recognizing degrees? Is it easier to practice in Australia with a US degree or vice versa?

Just wondering if perhaps it would be wiser to apply to Australian schools.

At the moment they pretty much have full reciprocity for Vet degrees between Australia and the US.

As for dental school, not yet. You can practice in Australia with a US dental degree but only in public government funded clinics in areas of need or within a dental school for teaching purposes. There is a new endo tutor at Sydney university from UNC who was given a license to practice at the dental school only until she passed the ADC exams which took a couple of years to complete.

If you want to a full dental license in Australia as a US grad, you must sit the ADC exams and/or re enroll with advance standing in an Australian dental school.

Example: Adelaide University’s 2 year bridging program for overseas dentists

It is basically the same situation currently if you want to go from Australia back the US. ie. 2 years of GPR/AEGD or 2 years in a US dental school.

CODA (US commission on dental accreditation) is currently in discussion with the ADC (Australian dental council) about developing a full reciprocity with Australia similar to the one currently held with Canadian dental schools.

Hopefully this will come to fruition soon. We'll see. :thumbup:

Hopefully this will come to fruition soon. We'll see. :thumbup:

Within the next four years would be spectacular :rolleyes:haha. Suppose Ill carry on my current course, I don't think the US offers for you to work in need areas in the mean time and i'll have quite a debt by that time. Very frustrating as I'm sure the countries training are at par with each other, at the same time, understandable I suppose.

So it takes a few years to sit the exam? Why so long?

ps thanks for your help

So it takes a few years to sit the exam? Why so long?

ps thanks for your help

Well.. its for a number of reasons. The ADC exams for foreign dentists are (I think) a 3 part process (written, oral, and clinical) each taken at a seperate time. Because of the number of overseas applicants to sit the exams combined with the small allotment of spots to sit the exam. The ADC has a quota as they only allow a certain number of overseas dentists to even go through the process every year.

I hope this happens soon as well. There is another SDN member (JoeNamaMD) who has also mentioned about the ongoing discussion about furthering the reciprocity of medical school accreditation, etc. So, we'll see. :thumbup: