Working for the VA / other federal jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkangel77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

So with all the drama of PT school out of the way (if you read the last thread I posted regarding my final 2 clinicals)...finally graduated now, have my DPT, and am studying for the boards in October.

I have a couple of questions :)

The first part: How easy is it to get a job working at the VA, or any other federal job as a physical therapist? I did my first clinical rotation in a VA in Queens, NY, and enjoyed the experience very much. I got along well with my CI and the other therapists there, loved the diversity of the patient population, and I loved the idea that I was helping these people who served our country. I spoke with the therapists there, both PT and OT, many who have been working there a long time, and they told me the pay and especially the benefits, are incredible.

I heard it's very hard for new grads to get work at a VA, so I'm thinking of working for agencies / a hospital initially and gain some experience before applying. My old CI, who I still keep in contact with and headed the PT department at my last clinic, said I should contact him when I'm looking for work and he would do what he could for me.

The next part: Doesn't really involve PTs, but OTs...but decided to post here. I have an old co-worker who is thinking of leaving his current job and working for the government (he doesn't feel his current job offers him enough in terms of security for his future), and got into touch with me since he knew I did an affil and have connections there. However, since he has a son here, he intends to stay in NYC for a few more years. He has 22 years of experience as an OT, and I thought I could ask my old CI for a referral at the same time that I ask him for myself. He's hoping to get in by next year. How easy would it be for him to get a job there?

Are there any other federal agencies that you can work for as a PT / OT, other than the VA and Board of Education?

Lastly, what's it like working for the VA? I had a great experience there as a student but I'm curious to know what it's like to work there for, well, longer than 2 months :p How family friendly is it? Would love to get married / have kids in the next several years, and was wondering how much support they offer you in that department.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Want to really get an edge on a VA job? You can do two things immediately. 1) Contact the managing PT at the local VA and speak to him/her personally. If you can, volunteer there. 2) join the military. After your active time is complete, you will have an edge over other applicants.

Congrats on obtaining your DPT. I remember your last post and I'm glad things turned out okay.

Hey Azi, thanks! It does feel good graduating after spending 4 months in limbo earlier this year, waiting to find out what was going to happen. I don't think I've ever been more stressed out.

Also, thanks for the advice on the VA. I actually thought about joining the military as a physical therapist. Unfortunately though, I do have exercise-induced asthma and I do wonder if that will instantly disqualify me (I read that it does, somewhere). I will definitely speak with my old CI and see if there's anything he can do for me.

As far as asking for my old co-worker, I'll repost that portion over in the OT section =)