working for planned parenthood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrismander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does working for planned parenthood require you to be OB/GYN trained? or do they take FP/IM's?

Members don't see this ad.

does working for planned parenthood require you to be OB/GYN trained? or do they take FP/IM's?
I suspect that it might vary depending on the state. Best to contact the one you're interested in, and inquire.

I'm an MSIII in Michigan and my family medicine preceptor very routinely works for Planned Parenthood - and did so before she was ever in medical school as well. She is amazing with obstetrics and is much-loved by her patient population. I agree with the previous poster that it may vary by state, however and it would definitely be worth checking.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, they definitely do. not all PPs are doing procedures. many of them are "just" women's health centers, doing reproductive and gyn care, and some basic priimary care, so they *def* hire non-obs! :)

i'm also interested in working at PP.
i'm interested in women's healthcare,preventive health/sexual health-gyn care. Not so interest in the ob part so i not sure i want to do obgyn.
do you think that is reason for me to do family practice?
will i get hired by a place like PP?
how's the pay and lifestyle like?
what procedures do they do there?
any info will be appreciated...
i'm MSII.
THANKS

I'll try to answer some of this but of course me just being an MS4 other opinions are welcomed too!

i'm also interested in working at PP.
i'm interested in women's healthcare,preventive health/sexual health-gyn care. Not so interest in the ob part so i not sure i want to do obgyn.
do you think that is reason for me to do family practice?
--I think you can go either way with this one - do FP and then I believe there are women's health fellowships after that you could do, and could probably just have a women's health FP clinic or do PP. Alternatively, you could do OB and then do a 2 yr Family Planning fellowship and probably have the same kind of clinic experience. The downside to that is that during your OB residency you would have to do OB stuff.

will i get hired by a place like PP?
--No idea, but it seems like if you had the above training and experiene I wouldn't see why not.

how's the pay and lifestyle like?
--no clue

what procedures do they do there?
--At PP they do reproductive health counseling and at some, abortions. Procedures would probably include IUD insertions/removals, terminations, and maybe some more that I'm blanking on...

any info will be appreciated...
i'm MSII.
THANKS

sorry my post ended up looking weird, but my answers are w/in the quote box

An alternative to FP or ob/gyn is a residency in Women's Health. I haven't heard too much about it, some are Internal Medicine residencies with a Women's Health track, many others are fellowships after IM or FP. I've attached a link that I found - someone mentioned it the other day, so I started to investigate more. Here is the link:
http://womenshealth.med.ucla.edu/academicmedicine/Jobs%20and Residencies.pdf

I guess this would be a choice if you really don't like Ob or kids - since FP's have to train in both? Anybody else heard anything?

An alternative to FP or ob/gyn is a residency in Women's Health. I haven't heard too much about it, some are Internal Medicine residencies with a Women's Health track, many others are fellowships after IM or FP. I've attached a link that I found - someone mentioned it the other day, so I started to investigate more. Here is the link:
http://womenshealth.med.ucla.edu/academicmedicine/Jobs%20and Residencies.pdf=QUOTE]

I love that my school apparently has this residency track and I've never even heard of it!! Sounds like an interesting pathway, though.

thanks for the info so far guys i'm going to read up on the women's residency option tho i'm not sure i'll be able to do that since none of these programs seems to be in the state i want to do my residency in- missouri.

anyone have any other ideas for what residency i could do? or any ideas on my other questions?
i'll post in the FP forum as well.
thanks

i think FP would def be the wway to go for you given your interests (true, i'm biased). but i too am interested in women's health but refused to do a residency in internal medicine, depsite the cool women's health tracks available. so it was between ob/gyn adn FP for me. i like the OR, but don't love it, so it was FP all the way.

haven't regretted it one bit.

go for it! :)

i think FP would def be the wway to go for you given your interests (true, i'm biased). but i too am interested in women's health but refused to do a residency in internal medicine, depsite the cool women's health tracks available. so it was between ob/gyn adn FP for me. i like the OR, but don't love it, so it was FP all the way.

haven't regretted it one bit.

go for it! :)

hi ramonaquimby,
i saw your other post as well, thanks for the encouragement! it's so refreshing!
what are your plans? do u want to have your own practice with your tailored interests or r u planning on joining an NPO like PP? and where big city/urban?

i just like to exchange ideas....