working for a year and getting med school paid for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggy411

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard some companies or government jobs pay for your tuition like undergrad. are there any jobs that would pay for medical school without paying them back ? i met some guy who said if you were a nurse's assistant they will pay for your medical school? I doubted it..is this true? if so, what do i have to do to become a nurse's assistant. or another job so that i could work for a year and then go to med school paid for.. is this possible?? hah

Members don't see this ad.

The only way I've heard of getting a free ride to med school is through MD/PhD programs where you agree to work in a lab for 3 years after med school to earn your PhD. It's not worth it in my opinion.

shaggy411 said:
I heard some companies or government jobs pay for your tuition like undergrad. are there any jobs that would pay for medical school without paying them back ? i met some guy who said if you were a nurse's assistant they will pay for your medical school? I doubted it..is this true? if so, what do i have to do to become a nurse's assistant. or another job so that i could work for a year and then go to med school paid for.. is this possible?? hah

Never heard the nurses assistant route you describe. The reason private companies have no interest in paying for med school (as they might for, eg. MBAs) is that because of residency training, you can't really come back and work for them with the advanced degree until 7+ years out, and nobody in business operates under that kind of distant horizon.
In the government, the armed forces is the one exception I am aware of - they will happilly pay most or all your tuition, but with substantial strings attached in terms of your future geographical location and obligations.
Some med school programs do offer loan reimbursement if you agree to spend a certain number of years after residency working in underserved population areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
hospitals will only pay for nurses assistants to become RN's not MD's. that is the dumbest thing ive heard. do you really want to wipe butt most of the time? it would be better for you to become a EMT basic and try to work as a ER tech. that would give me a flexible job and you could learn alot on the job with the docs, nurses and other techs. EMT basic is only a 120 hr course and could be done in as little as 3 weeks.
good luck. also remember if the cost of school seems high, its worth it. who else can make 150K-300K easily? you will pay off those loans soon enough. finances shouldnt be something to hold you back from your dreams.

nockamura said:
The only way I've heard of getting a free ride to med school is through MD/PhD programs where you agree to work in a lab for 3 years after med school to earn your PhD. It's not worth it in my opinion.

No, actually I heard that if you make a committment (through a particular program) to enter a primary care specialty then your medical school will be paid for.

shaggy411 said:

No, not possible.

Get loans, like everyone else.

They will pay your entire tuition plus give you a decent stipend to live on while you're in school.

Catch: You must become a primary care type, AND you must commit to practicing in an underserved area. If you want to know what underserved is, they list them on their website. If after residency you can't seem to land a job in one of their designated spots, they will assign you one... anywhere in the country. Their underserved areas are split between inner city and extreme rural, so decide now if you want to treat gunshot wounds or consanguinuity. Your service commitment is equal to the support you got in school, year for year. So, you can also sign up for this at any point along the way... if you only got the scholarship as a 4th year student, you'd only owe them one year, and so on.

t33sg1rl said:
They will pay your entire tuition plus give you a decent stipend to live on while you're in school.

Catch: You must become a primary care type, AND you must commit to practicing in an underserved area. If you want to know what underserved is, they list them on their website. If after residency you can't seem to land a job in one of their designated spots, they will assign you one... anywhere in the country. Their underserved areas are split between inner city and extreme rural, so decide now if you want to treat gunshot wounds or consanguinuity. Your service commitment is equal to the support you got in school, year for year. So, you can also sign up for this at any point along the way... if you only got the scholarship as a 4th year student, you'd only owe them one year, and so on.

You're not going to treat many gunshots wounds as a family practice physician in an urban area.

Their are several options to pay for medical school. The most money comes from the military. You get tuition, fees, books, supplies, and a stipend of over 1200/month. You also incur an obligation year for year, and you have to enter their military residency match and if you match you must go to their residency. A reliable source told me that you will match over 93% into a military residency. (I was also in the army for 5 years and have a good understanding of the way things work.) Another method to pay is through Scholarships for Disadvantaged students through the NHSC. This scholarship is extremely hard to get, you have to have been desolate growing up and through college, but it pays for everything no strings attatched. The other NHSC program has a commitment like the others have said. You can also do AHEC forgivable loan programs depending what state you live in. I know in Missouri they offer 25k/year in forgivable loans. These come with a year for year obligation to serve as a primary care doc in an underserved community. Every community in MO is underserved practically, thats my state. The downside is that these loans are earmarked for certain populations of med students like pipeline programs for rural medicine and they are dependant on state funding which may or may not be there. Lastly there is loan repayment plans. On these you take out all of the loans you can to pay for medical school, then you work in underserved areas as a primary care doc and they pay you loans off year for year for up to four years. This is a pretty sweet deal because you can even have your private practice and still get the money. Luckily I already know that I am going to go into family medicine and not for the loan forgivance programs.