Working during vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runnerDC

Tufts - class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there time and opportunity to work--for pay--during vet school? Aside from loans, grants, and the possible scholarship, what other income-producing opportunities are available? Do students line-up research-related or other jobs during the semester and/or summer?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeh, i'd like to back this up. This questions is mainly to anyone who went to an English school for me though. I don't think i could live without a job, i just don't have the money, but i'm really not sure if there is time.

Thank you
Katie

someone I know who went to tenn. (waaay back long ago- like in the '80's!) worked part time as a bartender... his first two years, I think? before it was too much. Think it depends on the school. and your need for sleep.

j.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most veterinary schools have a few openings for students to work as teaching or research assistants. This is often during the summer breaks or part time during the school year. A lot of schools also hire "live in" students to stay in the hospital at night to help out with emergencies. None of these pay particularly well but they have the benefit of veterinary-related experience.

And of course some students get jobs outside of school. Again this is usually during the summer breaks or part time during the year. Your grades will suffer to some degree if you work during the year but in you have to do what you have to do.

Is there time and opportunity to work--for pay--during vet school? Aside from loans, grants, and the possible scholarship, what other income-producing opportunities are available? Do students line-up research-related or other jobs during the semester and/or summer?
Thank you.

A graduate of Georgia told me that she found vet school to be much less rigorous than undergrad. She worked full-time and did full-time undergrad like I did. She said, if you did that, then this will be alot easier. At least it was for her.

She said she had time on her hands, so she got a part-time job during most of her four years there. She's been out of vet school for maybe 4 years now. She's quite intelligent (and a wonderful practitioner). She knows her stuff!

She said for students who hadn't done the full-time job, full-time school thing, vet school took alot of adjusting, but that for her, it was great. She couldn't speak for other schools, just GA.

I worked 30+ hours a week on top of a more than full (~20 credit) courseload in undergrad and did fine. I could not imagine working now that Im in vet school. Maybe its a first semester thing, but I definatley don't have the time to do much besides school and when I do have the time, I definately don't want to spend it working!

We have a requirement of 14 weeks of practical -- basically, farming -- experience (dairy, sheep/beef & equine) outside of school. The dairy farm portion, at least, is usually paid, if you work somewhere the whole summer. Plus you can get relief milking gigs on the weekends during the school year. (I would, but I am so not a morning person.) Each year, the school compiles a list of NZ farms that take on Massey vet students.

Our students who work will hold jobs somewhere in the veterinary complex or government labs (these are annual jobs mostly which can extend into the summer)

Diagnostic Lab
Clinical micriobiology lab
Small Animal reception desk after hours/emergency
CVM library
Research and teaching assistantships
Tutoring underclass veterinary students
Histopathology lab
Technical Support (maintain technical equipment in classrooms, troubleshoot and assist professors with technical equipment in classrooms)
Summer Merck Merial Scholars (summer only)

Outside of veterinary school (mostly weekend jobs):
Local restaurants
Local veterinary practices
Animal care at USDA labs
Clothing stores
PetsMart groomer
Grocery store shelf stocker
RA for undergraduate honors dorms

Hello!

One thing I reckon is interesting here in Sydney is that a lot of students LIVE in vet clinics and take after hours calls or do meds etcetera. A few of my friends are doing that.

I work at my student residence for my rent and I also have a weekend job in a clinic. I probably work more than is sane really. :scared:

I would say more than half our class would have clinic jobs though.

I worked part-time all through vet school... the only time it was a problem was during clinics, but my job was flexible enough that I could work during easy rotations and not work during the time-intensive ones.

I taught GRE/SAT prep classes and loved it. I enjoyed teaching, the schedule was completely flexible (I usually worked 5-15 hrs/wk) and the money was great (started at $15/hr, eventually moved up to $19/hr).

I'm still in my first semester at Tufts, and I've been working in the large animal hospital 6-10 hours a week for the past month. It's been tough... I have found that I learn very slowly and therefore need more time to study than most of my counterparts, so it's been difficult to find enough time to study anyway, much less to squeeze in a few hours of work. Smarter people than I would probably have less trouble :) However, knowing that I have to go to work tonight makes me much more focused... I tend to be much more productive on days when I have less time to study than on days that I have more time. My grades have, for the most part, gone up in the past month (not that that's saying much, as my first round of grades was pretty low!).

The plus side is that the vast majority of campus jobs pay $10/hr, which is way better than the minimum wage I was earning in undergrad. :D

I am resurrecting this thread in hopes that a few CURRENT TUFTS STUDENTS see it and wouldn't mind talking about their experiences with paid work and how you went about finding it:

I am going to be a first-year in the fall and wanted to know, from those of you who work p/t during the academic year and/or f/t during the summer, how did you find those jobs? Did you locate positions in one of the hospitals and apply through Tufts main employment listing site? Did you more informally network with professors as you learned about their research/clinical interests and find paid positions that way? Or are there paid employment opportunities (either clinical or research) that are specifically earmarked for students that you were made aware of at some point?

Any information or advice you might have on how students locate paid work experience while at Tufts would be very helpful.

I'm not at Tufts, but my experience at the U of MN is that, once school starts, job announcements come through via email for positions at the U. Lots of people work in the pharmacy, Urolith lab, cleaning surgery suites, etc. Clinics who are looking for help will also send out emails to the student body. That's how most people seemed to find work.

I am resurrecting this thread in hopes that a few CURRENT TUFTS STUDENTS see it and wouldn't mind talking about their experiences with paid work and how you went about finding it:

I am going to be a first-year in the fall and wanted to know, from those of you who work p/t during the academic year and/or f/t during the summer, how did you find those jobs? Did you locate positions in one of the hospitals and apply through Tufts main employment listing site? Did you more informally network with professors as you learned about their research/clinical interests and find paid positions that way? Or are there paid employment opportunities (either clinical or research) that are specifically earmarked for students that you were made aware of at some point?

Any information or advice you might have on how students locate paid work experience while at Tufts would be very helpful.

Not to hijack the thread, but hello from a fellow Washingtonian! What are you planning to do for the summer leading up to your first year at Tufts?

Not to hijack the thread, but hello from a fellow Washingtonian! What are you planning to do for the summer leading up to your first year at Tufts?

I'm a non-trad career-changer, so will be working full-time in my current profession (public policy researcher for fed govt) right up until we leave DC.