Employment & Professional Networking Working during Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w.amanda96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I will be starting OT school next Fall and I am really struggling with the fact that it is essentially impossible to work at all while in school. I understand that the programs are rigorous and require complete commitment, but I am also thinking about student tuition and debt. Has anyone received any advice or have personal experience in working during graduate school? I worked all through undergrad (sometimes while taking 18-19 hour semesters), so I believe I have the time management skills necessary. I'd also work very little hours, if any.

Let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

So I am beginning in August as well. The thought of not working/not financially contributing to my family is terrifyingly intimidating. I am trying not to take on a ton of debt to live if possible. For the program I am about to enter, I was told that almost all students worked essentially because they needed to in order to get by. Like you, I worked 40 hours a week while taking part-time classes for my prerequisites. Was it fun? No. Was it doable? Completely.

My plan in school is to flip this schedule. I will be in school full time and work part time. Whether thats 10 hours a week or 20. I know I can handle it and if not I need to adapt myself in order to. Besides, we are about to be OTs -- we of all people should know how to adapt!

I know many users on this site vote against it, but I believe this situation depends on the student themselves. We are all different. We all learn differently, manage our time differently and come from different financial backgrounds. I say you do what you can! Take a trial run. If you cant handle it, then you know you tried and whats best.

Reactions: 1 user
In a cohort of 34 people.. not a single one was able to work during our first semester. We study from sun up till past sun down. Work as much as you can now.. save it and use that.

As a parent, I hardly had time for my daughter. It was so much different than undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing Aba therapist could be great, it pays pretty well and is flexible. I think it definitely gives you that client interaction that can help once you go into your internship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Several of us had work study and were assigned to the OT department. When I wasn't given assignments I was able to study and do homework. Any free time I had I would just check in letting them know I was available. I did this for 10-20 hours/week.

I also babysat 2.5 hours/day/3x week. Many others in my cohort babysat, also.

The workload is very different from undergrad but I was able to manage it and a job and maintain a 3.7 GPA.

Several of us had work study and were assigned to the OT department. When I wasn't given assignments I was able to study and do homework. Any free time I had I would just check in letting them know I was available. I did this for 10-20 hours/week.

The workload is very different from undergrad but I was able to manage it and a job and maintain a 3.7 GPA.

This is refreshing to hear! For the work-study program, do you have to have certain qualifications based on income?

Can you specify the type of program you are in? I think that makes a difference. Some are part time.. some are online content.

My program is full time, so we are in the classroom from 8-5 M- Friday.. Plus we had to be in lab at least 5 hours outside of class in order to learn the material.

Can you specify the type of program you are in? I think that makes a difference. Some are part time.. some are online content.

My program is full time, so we are in the classroom from 8-5 M- Friday.. Plus we had to be in lab at least 5 hours outside of class in order to learn the material.

What do your weekends look like based on the program?

In the lab mostly doing projects.. finishing dissections. Doing projects, and meeting classmates for group projects. (There are a ton...) and studying for tests. Most weeks there are about 3 quizzes and at least 2 tests to prepare for on top of practicals. It’s a LOT of studying.

And you have to remember.. most students come here thinking.. oh I barely had to read to pass in undergrad. That is not grad school. So much of it is self taught.

This is refreshing to hear! For the work-study program, do you have to have certain qualifications based on income?

Yes. You need to fill out the FAFSA. If you qualify the school will let you know.

Full-time. We had classes 3-4 days/week.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a full time program and I work 15-20 hours a week as a graduate assistant at the college. It is totally do-able it just depends on the program you are in. I was in class about 25 hours each week which left time to work in between classes. A good portion of my classmates didn't work because they didn't have to, but someone who is paying their way through grad school it wasn't an option for me to not work. I suggest finding a job on campus or babysitting so you can spend some time studying when you aren't busy. Good luck!

I'm doing an adult program because there is no way that my family can support me while I'm in school. I don't want to rely on them for money for the next 3 years. I am also in my early 20s and I don't want to not be able to live because of finances. So my program meets every other or every 3rd weekend and I only take 9 credits every trimester. I will be done in 2.5 years + 6 months of fieldwork. I also work M-F from 9-3 so I will hsve plenty of time to study after work and on weekends.

I'm doing an adult program because there is no way that my family can support me while I'm in school. I don't want to rely on them for money for the next 3 years. I am also in my early 20s and I don't want to not be able to live because of finances. So my program meets every other or every 3rd weekend and I only take 9 credits every trimester. I will be done in 2.5 years + 6 months of fieldwork. I also work M-F from 9-3 so I will hsve plenty of time to study after work and on weekends.
If you don't mind sharing, what school are you attending that offers that format of a program?

If you don't mind sharing, what school are you attending that offers that format of a program?
I am attending Dominican College in NY. But I think there's other colleges that offer a flex program, such as Brenau University. Dominican College is the most convenient and cheapest option.

Hi hi! I am in my first year of OT school at D'Youville and I always wondered this before I started. I worked 20+ hours during undergrad so I figured I'd be able to swing it during OT school. Last semester, which was my very first semester, I started school and worked only 15 hours a week. I quickly realized I was falling behind and quit my job completely by the 4th week of classes. I was taking 6 classes, one of them being gross anatomy, so the workload was very intense. I felt like I was wasting time at my job when I should've been studying. BUT, a bunch of my friends kept their jobs and worked about 10-15 hours and did really well. So it definitely is a personal preference. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you start the program because you won't really know until then! Do what's best for you!