'Working Consensus' on ICE grading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step2cs01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I think we can agree having a thread where we have collectively hashed out our limited understanding of how ICE is scored can be big time help. Particularly to those who have failed ICE (like myself) and are trying to pinpoint where we likely we screwed up/need to improve.

From the Scoring of the Step 2 Clinical skills Subcomponents from OFFICIAL "Content description and general information"http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-2-cs/cs-info-manual.pdf

The ICE subcomponent includes assessments of both data gathering and data interpretation skills. Scoring for this subcomponent consists of a checklist completed by the standardized patients for the physical examination portion of the encounter, and global ratings provided by trained physician raters. The patient note raters provide ratings on the documented summary of the findings of the patient encounter (history and physical examination), diagnostic impressions, justification of the potential diagnoses, and initial patient diagnostic studies.

Based off this for the ICE score:

1. There is ONLY a checklist for physical exam maneuvers performed (I do not think what Phloston asserted is correct then, that there is Hx checklist done by SP to compare with content of note).

2. There is little guidance for evaluation of the Patient Note, but they give examples of what "actions" are associated with a higher vs. lower score

HIGHER SCORE =
: Using correct medical terminology
: Detailed documentation of pertinent history and physical findings
: Listing diagnoses only supported by history and findings (even if this is fewer than three)
: Listing the correct diagnoses in order of likelihood
: Supporting diagnoses with pertinent findings obtained from the history and physical

LOWER SCORE =
: Using inexact, non-medical terminology
: Listing improbable diagnoses with no supporting evidence
: Listing an appropriate diagnosis with listing supporting evidence
: Listing diagnoses without regard to order of likelihood

...moar thoughts/input, please! :)

Members don't see this ad.

also, what really is the minimum to pass. Is it having 6/11 stars in the BORDERLINE? (i attached my failed ICE report).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 1.46.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 1.46.57 AM.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 200
So there is no History checklist? I'm guessing this is evaluated by the physician in the patient note?

also, what really is the minimum to pass. Is it having 6/11 stars in the BORDERLINE? (i attached my failed ICE report).

Bro you were two stars short of passing ICE, One star must touch the Border of Borderline & High performance barrier to pass as a minimum