Working at Safeway as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmboarder10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been quite some time on here since I've seen any posts or comments about working at Safeway as a pharmacist. Can anyone who works at Safeway or has worked there give any insight as to whether to take a position at Safeway as a pharmacist. Is the pharmacist expected to be the cashier also if it's just the pharmacist and one tech all day, metrics, tech hours, etc? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Not many posts or comments because these people like their jobs. If you are going to do retail pharmacy then grocery store is about as good as it gets. Maybe a bit less job security.

A Safeway just opened here. The pharmacy looked small but I noticed they had a Kirby on the counter. The pharmacist was by themselves while I was there but it didn't seem bad from the outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a Safeway APPE rotation before. I remember the pharmacist at my store would usually open for the first hour by his/herself. The patients are more patient about wait times b/c they can just go grocery shopping. I also remember that they're pushed to do tons of flu shots so that was where I got all my flu shot practice as a student. hahaha. I think you get extra tech hours for every certain number of flu shots. The computer system is old though and I remember "verifying" scripts as a student by hand (whereas at CVS everything is electronic). The script volume is low though so the setbacks technology-wise is manageable. I'm not sure if things have changed though because I thought Safeway was merging with Albertson's..?

I'm not sure how much has changed with the merger with Albertson's. In Arizona, they cut out a lot of central staff but the stores still ran pretty much the same. Expect a 40 hour work week with about 3 12 hour shifts and a 4 hour overlap with your partner. Most stores are pretty quiet so you get limited tech hours during the week and zero on weekends.

The good news it's really not that bad being Lone Wolf pharmacist with no tech. Most Safeway pharmacists arrive just 5 minutes before the store is scheduled to open and can leave right at closing. Flu season can get a little hairy because the paperwork is cumbersome and you have no tech to watch the place when you give a shot. And PDX is an ancient DOS based system but its reliable and you get used to it.

I enjoyed having the time to really counsel patients properly, lot of very kind thank you's from the customers. Pay I think is now $61/hr in Arizona.

I'm offered a full time position in Safeway but hours would be 30-35hrs /week. How is the work life balance there. From what I understand, I need to go in all days for short shifts . Anyone in similar situation? Any inputs very much appreciated