Working at CVS is complete HELL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not easier by any means. Are you that dense? Yes you have people at every workstation but that means nothing when 3 pages of Qt randomly appear out of the blue, and the pickup line is down the aisle all day everyday.
It is easier. When you have a pharmacist at the drive thru, a tech at pickup and a tech at drop off, and everyone has a line for 30 minutes is is the most frustrating thing in the world. No production and no QA makes for a bad time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone defending CVS, you are the exception. CVS turn over is so high for pharmacist and tech is because it's a lousy place to work for. Alot of friends I know are smart and hard workers who have been there for long time but have quit or been looking but can't find a better place.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup people don't get that and always go by script count. 24 hour stores have it the EASIEST. If they struggle, that's on them. They have an overnight that clears all the readyfills. They have a filling machine for fast movers. And they have a lot of overlap. I've worked at stores that fill 800 a day and it's a breeze compared to my old store that did 450-550 a day that was opened only 8-9pm on weekdays. Those stores have to fill their own readyfills during the day, less RPH/tech overlap... Those stores have it the hardest.

When I hear PICs of 24 hour stores talk about how many scripts they do a day and have it so much harder, I just laugh.

The only important metrics of WeCare are triage time (the most important in my opinion), promised time, and action notes. The rest aren't as important in terms of service. But every store should prioritize where everyone focuses on QT at all times.

I worked in both settings and you pretty much go full speed your whole shift in both, especially if day shift is 8am-10pm. So I don't see much difference. The main difference is my new script to refill ratio is much higher for daytime in 24 hour store (70-30 or so) since as you said overnight will do readyfill. I am not sure where you have the idea that 24hour stores have more overlap or filling machine. Unless it is heavy volume 24hr store, your tech hours are actually spread thin all over the place. With the current budgets, I rarely have 3 techs at a time during weekday or more than 1 tech at a time on weekends. The setup is pretty much 1 tech at drop off, 1 at pick up, and RPH doing production/QA/phone. So the only real benefit is I can leave a couple pages in Q if I can't clear it by the time I need to leave and it wont affect the next day.

I would actually prefer to work in non-24 hour store but there aren't any takers for 24 hour gig.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like Nate will be with CVS for awhile. Old Timer has been with them for 14 years but probably getting close to retiring comfortably. Does anyone actually see themselves doing same thing in same place 5-10 years from now?

I worked in both settings and you pretty much go full speed your whole shift in both, especially if day shift is 8am-10pm. So I don't see much difference. The main difference is my new script to refill ratio is much higher for daytime in 24 hour store (70-30 or so) since as you said overnight will do readyfill. I am not sure where you have the idea that 24hour stores have more overlap or filling machine. Unless it is heavy volume 24hr store, your tech hours are actually spread thin all over the place. With the current budgets, I rarely have 3 techs at a time during weekday or more than 1 tech at a time on weekends. The setup is pretty much 1 tech at drop off, 1 at pick up, and RPH doing production/QA/phone. So the only real benefit is I can leave a couple pages in Q if I can't clear it by the time I need to leave and it wont affect the next day.

I would actually prefer to work in non-24 hour store but there aren't any takers for 24 hour gig.

Trust me, it's better to start your day with a clear QP than 7-10 pages of readyfills, including have to clear 4-5 pages of autoprocessing errors LOL.

I have rarely seen Qt/QP cleared except on weekends in the 24 hour stores.

How do you guys like the new verification system cvs is piloting?

I have rarely seen Qt/QP cleared except on weekends in the 24 hour stores.

How do you guys like the new verification system cvs is piloting?

Hate it. Great idea but I don't want more screens than I already have. Would be better if the dur screen only popped up if it found something.

Hate it. Great idea but I don't want more screens than I already have. Would be better if the dur screen only popped up if it found something.
Doesn't the DUR always find something? "Warning: dose lower than recommended" accompanied by "Warning: high ADR risk in elderly - dose lower than recommended"

Reactions: 1 users
Another screen to slow down the entire process. I hope the screen continues to freeze. You know that one minute long freeze where you are like "WTF, why can't this company get new computers?", and finally the whole 2 minutes later it works.

You should ask your supe to match the offer....

I am forced to eat crow here. I had originally text my sup about this, asking if I could match the offer. He asked for more info than never got back to me. When I called him he authorized me to make a counter offer.

The story has a happy ending too - we were able to retain the tech, Woot!

I was one of the biggest supporters of CVS- but my marriage ended with the company recently- and I most say I am in a better far less stressful place. As much as I did for the company I don't feel the appreciation was mutual- nuff said.

Reactions: 4 users
Is floating better? I mean my job pays my hourly rate while I'm driving plus 56 cents per mile and having no real responsibility at most stores feels pretty nice. I'm a single younger guy so maybe it's easier for my demographic to float, I kind of like it. Usually when I don't like a store it's because of old annoying post-menopausal women techs who gossip about stupid stuff.

I was one of the biggest supporters of CVS- but my marriage ended with the company recently- and I most say I am in a better far less stressful place. As much as I did for the company I don't feel the appreciation was mutual- nuff said.

holy crap... i was off and on from checking in on this board, but I remember you used to defend CVS like no other!

Members don't see this ad :)

Account hacked ??

Is floating better? I mean my job pays my hourly rate while I'm driving plus 56 cents per mile and having no real responsibility at most stores feels pretty nice. I'm a single younger guy so maybe it's easier for my demographic to float, I kind of like it. Usually when I don't like a store it's because of old annoying post-menopausal women techs who gossip about stupid stuff.
yeah.. floter does not have to care metrics as much as staffs do. but they mostly (1) get all closing shifts, (2) you cannot plan your life because you get schedule on thusday or fridays for the next week (if your scheduler is lazy) (3) recieve calls at 7am from scheduler asking if you can cover shifts, (4) most of wed-fri shift is from 4-10 with no break and more chance of getting mpp... (5) you don't always get 40 hours. mostly get 32-36 hours, but if if slow times 18-24 hours (three or four 6 hours shifts).
plus.. they don't pay gas unless if floating store is farther than 25 -30 miles from your home store.

wouldn't go back to floater..

Last edited:

Feel the ground shaking. If what u are saying is true, I am not surprised. Your posts sound like you did everything you could to get things running well. Although, I cant speak for all districts I have never seen someone like u promoted. It is usually someone who struggles on the bench but looks good in a suit or is a stimulation in some way to the regional. Never the person who can handle the load and knows what they are doing. At least not in my neck of the woods. Here we have DM's that sold cellphones previously or had previous experience at dept store because the brother in law was president of the company. Pharmacy sups that couldnt make it thru a day at a busy store without cracking. Sad situations in some places.

Good for you! Congratulations!

You are absolutely right, and the last thing you said is something I completely agree with. As much as I did for the company, the appreciation was not mutual. That is something I quickly realized my first month of being a pharmacist for CVS. 3 and a half years later is when I was smart enough to make a change in my life.

I have to give it to Rxnupe. Good for you. No procrastination on boards. Once you make up your mind that you are done with the company, you are out quick.

Account hacked ??
No my account wasn't hacked- I am speaking the truth- been with the company for 8 years- I was PIC at one of the busiest stores in the region. Sadly, I don't think the company staffs the stores with the help it needs. When I took over as PIC I had 405 tech hours- those 420 techs hours dwindled to 350 tech hours and keep in mind with more volume and more task. CVS wants to operate like McDonalds that's all fine and dandy, but at least McDonald's is adequately staffed and speaking of McDonald's the pay rate of an entry level certified tech and a person working at McDonald's is not that different.
I tried all I could to make this marriage work and realized it was a losing battle- I felt that I needed a 10 foot rope to climb the mountain and CVS was only giving me an 8 ft rope. Honestly, I really feel bad for the techs- they don't make the income as a Pharmacist and the techs are the ones who are doing the majority of the work and I just don't think they are appreciated.
It's really sad because their are great techs and pharmacist who are employed by the company, but things could be a lot better. By the way, I am talking about simple things could be iproved, but for the sake of me I don't know why CVS continues to follow status quo.

Reactions: 6 users
Do any of the techs take their breaks? The two 15 minute paid breaks? Nobody in my store does, and one of the senior techs started giving me a hard time when I used mine.

Do any of the techs take their breaks? The two 15 minute paid breaks? Nobody in my store does, and one of the senior techs started giving me a hard time when I used mine.

I have worked in about 20 stores during my career and not once have I ever seen a tech use that who was not either freshly trained (and thinking they would really get paid breaks) or a smoker. I usually respond to requests for paid breaks with, this is how we have time to let people use the restroom and buy snacks during times when we are not massively busy, please use reasonable judgement as to not put undue burden on fellow employees.

Only at super slow stores where staying in the pharmacy is a break anyway.

I know it was mentioned before but my sup finally brought up splitting shifts. Sounds like it is mandatory. 3 templates to pick from and can't say that I'm a big fan.

No my account wasn't hacked- I am speaking the truth- been with the company for 8 years- I was PIC at one of the busiest stores in the region. Sadly, I don't think the company staffs the stores with the help it needs. When I took over as PIC I had 405 tech hours- those 420 techs hours dwindled to 350 tech hours and keep in mind with more volume and more task. CVS wants to operate like McDonalds that's all fine and dandy, but at least McDonald's is adequately staffed and speaking of McDonald's the pay rate of an entry level certified tech and a person working at McDonald's is not that different.
I tried all I could to make this marriage work and realized it was a losing battle- I felt that I needed a 10 foot rope to climb the mountain and CVS was only giving me an 8 ft rope. Honestly, I really feel bad for the techs- they don't make the income as a Pharmacist and the techs are the ones who are doing the majority of the work and I just don't think they are appreciated.
It's really sad because their are great techs and pharmacist who are employed by the company, but things could be a lot better. By the way, I am talking about simple things could be iproved, but for the sake of me I don't know why CVS continues to follow status quo.

After seeing your previous posts, you must feel like an idiot now. Its always fun to see when corporate cheerleaders like you realize reality and the truth about corporate greed.

I've worked at CVS for nearly 4 years and there's no way if you're one of the busier stores in the regions (I assume 600+ per weekday) that you get only 350 tech hours. That's simply impossible.

The 24 hour store in my district that does like 4000+ a week get 370-380 tech hours.

Now mind you, I still think that's not enough b/c CVS puts a load of metrics on you but there is no way your store gets cut 70 hours. If so, you could have easily argued with your sup.

My supervisor is a complete bitch. Our hours got cut by 70 to meet goals for the last quarter of the year. No arguing or you'll be on her **** list.

After seeing your previous posts, you must feel like an idiot now. Its always fun to see when corporate cheerleaders like you realize reality and the truth about corporate greed.

That is kinda harsh.

It is easy to for good people to want to believe that others are also motivated by best intentions. When their employers ask more than is reasonable from them, they figure it is for an unavoidable reason, and that they just need to put their shoulder to the wheel. It is painful and disillusioning to realize that one has been pouring one's heart into an unfillable abyss.

Have some compassion.

My supervisor is a complete bitch. Our hours got cut by 70 to meet goals for the last quarter of the year. No arguing or you'll be on her **** list.

Then don't listen to her. It's that simple. I've had sups questioned my budget and I just showed the sup: here's my script count and here's what CVS budgets per script count. Now tell me that's no longer the case and it applies to every store then sure.

You can't be afraid of sups b/c they're your boss. If they're reasonable with what they do sure. If they're not, it's a different story. Telling you to cut hours to meet THEIR budget to meet their bonuses is not reasonable.

You're in charge of your store. You're in charge of how it runs.

I've worked at CVS for nearly 4 years and there's no way if you're one of the busier stores in the regions (I assume 600+ per weekday) that you get only 350 tech hours. That's simply impossible.

The 24 hour store in my district that does like 4000+ a week get 370-380 tech hours.

Now mind you, I still think that's not enough b/c CVS puts a load of metrics on you but there is no way your store gets cut 70 hours. If so, you could have easily argued with your sup.
I assure you in the last 3 years the most tech hours I have had based on the budget was 350- even 370 to 380 would still be understaffed. If you are averaging about let's say 4400 week- I would say to run a good workflow you would need to use roughly 410 hours. Without fail- every week that I had a "good" week- meaning keeping the queues cleared- making the pcq calls with a good percentage- I used excess of 400 hours- only to get an email the following week saying: You were over budget by 50 to 60 hours. My response was basically- take away those 50 to 60 hours and you are not having all the PCQ calls made nor will you have a clean queue. It appears that upper management just didn't get it. In 2014- my district alone lost 9 Pharmacist- which has never happened since I been with the company.

I assure you in the last 3 years the most tech hours I have had based on the budget was 350- even 370 to 380 would still be understaffed. If you are averaging about let's say 4400 week- I would say to run a good workflow you would need to use roughly 410 hours. Without fail- every week that I had a "good" week- meaning keeping the queues cleared- making the pcq calls with a good percentage- I used excess of 400 hours- only to get an email the following week saying: You were over budget by 50 to 60 hours. My response was basically- take away those 50 to 60 hours and you are not having all the PCQ calls made nor will you have a clean queue. It appears that upper management just didn't get it. In 2014- my district alone lost 9 Pharmacist- which has never happened since I been with the company.

I think your district PICs should have gathered together and talked with your sup.

I've had a regional manager called me out on my hours. And my sups have emailed me many times about my hour usage. But I told the RM: do you want me to produce results or save hours for bonuses? He couldn't say jack. I kept doing what I had to do to keep my store flowing smoothly (and I used OT if I needed to). As long as my store was profitable with good results, they can't say much.

If the scripts justify it, use it. If you were doing 4400 a week, you're justified 400 tech hours at least (11 techs per script).

But you had what you had to do. HOpefully you're on a much better course now :)

Do cvs sups have direct authority over you ? At wags if you are making money , you and store mgr are free to tell rx sup to f off .. because they have no influence on you or your bonus and have no direct reports.. if you meet sales and profit targets you are free to treat rx sup as an informational resource and nothing more. I have gone over the head of my rx sup to get more tech hours and it was approved no question .. my rx sup got a talking to and yeah I'm on their **** list now but hey, store manager and ops dm are on board and they are in control , not rx sup..

Curious if it's this way at CVS .. can a supe fire or transfer an rxm ? At wags, they are just an opinion in the mix to contribute to the operational team.

It seems a little bit that CVS has its head in its ass if they let a district mgr bonus hurt it profit margins .

Do cvs sups have direct authority over you ? At wags if you are making money , you and store mgr are free to tell rx sup to f off .. because they have no influence on you or your bonus and have no direct reports.. if you meet sales and profit targets you are free to treat rx sup as an informational resource and nothing more. I have gone over the head of my rx sup to get more tech hours and it was approved no question .. my rx sup got a talking to and yeah I'm on their **** list now but hey, store manager and ops dm are on board and they are in control , not rx sup..

Curious if it's this way at CVS .. can a supe fire or transfer an rxm ? At wags, they are just an opinion in the mix to contribute to the operational team.

It seems a little bit that CVS has its head in its ass if they let a district mgr bonus hurt it profit margins .

At CVS, sups are your direct reports; basically they are your bosses. DMs control the front store side; sups control the rx side.

I think your district PICs should have gathered together and talked with your sup.

I've had a regional manager called me out on my hours. And my sups have emailed me many times about my hour usage. But I told the RM: do you want me to produce results or save hours for bonuses? He couldn't say jack. I kept doing what I had to do to keep my store flowing smoothly (and I used OT if I needed to). As long as my store was profitable with good results, they can't say much.

If the scripts justify it, use it. If you were doing 4400 a week, you're justified 400 tech hours at least (11 techs per script).

But you had what you had to do. HOpefully you're on a much better course now :)

So basically your sup told RM that he has this PIC who is not getting in line with the budget goals and RM called you up. I mean I completely agree with you that it is nearly impossible to do what is asked with the hours you are given. I applaud your defiance as well. I just can't see DMs/Sups/RM sitting quietly without doing anything about it. I am consistently over hours as well. I get emails, calls, and conference calls to attend. Some of it is mySchedule versus green sheets discrepancies and some of it due to other factors. I am excitedly awaiting to see which PIC in the district will be written up first or what they plan to do about it. The only question is when.

To your point that PICs should do what is necessary to run their store smoothly. We all have different levels of security and risk tolerance. I am probably nearing the end of my CVS run but there are a lot of pharmacists desperately clinging to their jobs.

Also we threw around some numbers to get idea of script count / hours ratio. I did not see too many CVS/Wags ratios of 11:1 or better.

Last edited:
...Also we threw around some numbers to get idea of script count / hours ratio. I did not see too many CVS/Wags ratios of 11:1 or better.

That's because nobody starts from zero:zero. If you do 22 Rx's in a week you don't get 2 tech hours: you still have zero. The 11 Rx's to 1 tech hour is variance from budget, not creation of budget.

Not that I think that the budgeted hours are appropriate. Doublehh03 has the right idea, 100%.

So basically your sup told RM that he has this PIC who is not getting in line with the budget goals and RM called you up. I mean I completely agree with you that it is nearly impossible to do what is asked with the hours you are given. I applaud your defiance as well. I just can't see DMs/Sups/RM sitting quietly without doing anything about it. I am consistently over hours as well. I get emails, calls, and conference calls to attend. Some of it is mySchedule versus green sheets discrepancies and some of it due to other factors. I am excitedly awaiting to see which PIC in the district will be written up first or what they plan to do about it. The only question is when.
To your point that PICs should do what is necessary to run their store smoothly. We all have different levels of security and risk tolerance. I am probably nearing the end of my CVS run but there are a lot of pharmacists desperately clinging to their jobs.

Also we threw around some numbers to get idea of script count / hours ratio. I did not see too many CVS/Wags ratios of 11:1 or better.

It's not defiance. My scripts and results justify the hours that I used. I"m not abusing hours. There's a difference between using hours to meet the store's needs as compared to abusing OT where you don't get results nor scripts. The RM called me out without knowing what my store's results were specifically.

To the point where that poster stated he/she was given 350-370 hours for 4400 scripts a week. That's simply abuse by the sup. You can report that corporate or whatever but I have never worked in a store where those hours were given for those script counts.

Again, I'm not saying the current budgets are great. They're not. I would love for more hours than I am using now. And that applies to all retail pharmacies. But we do the best what we can. But to let hours being cut like that simply to meet a supervisor's goal/target/budget is absurd. There are many variables that come into play for budgets (scripts, tech experience, time of month, how good your store is--better the store more leeway...)

All I'm saying is that somehow this was escalated to your RM, who was clueless about specifics of your store. Hopefully RM is reasonable. That is not the case across the board. And as we can see by constant emails and conference calls, many of the sups would just let you drown than dig into the actual numbers.

All I'm saying is that somehow this was escalated to your RM, who was clueless about specifics of your store. Hopefully RM is reasonable. That is not the case across the board. And as we can see by constant emails and conference calls, many of the sups would just let you drown than dig into the actual numbers.

You are misinformed. Your budget for hours is set by Rhode Island. They took all local control away from the RM/DM/RX Supervisor about 2 years ago. They used to send the information down and the field management could massage the hours as they saw fit. Move hours from store X to store Y. That is no longer the case. Your RM/DM/RX Supervisor cannot adjust your hours. They are what the Green Sheet says they are.

You are misinformed. Your budget for hours is set by Rhode Island. They took all local control away from the RM/DM/RX Supervisor about 2 years ago. They used to send the information down and the field management could massage the hours as they saw fit. Move hours from store X to store Y. That is no longer the case. Your RM/DM/RX Supervisor cannot adjust your hours. They are what the Green Sheet says they are.

Our latest conference call said to use my schedule demand not green sheets.

They still do that though FYI b/c a lot of PICs don't know about green sheets. Use that to your advantage. Hell, I still know of sups who use myschedule demands and move hours here and there among stores so they don't go over. Just terrible.

Technically yes, if your MySchedule demand is up to date. A lot of stores still aren't and are short a lot of hours, and thus should use their green sheets. A lot of sups still don't know that though.

My former DM made a front store manager operated with 30 hours with less than he's used to and he got destroyed. Thank god he complained to MySchedule which then stated not all stores are updated with the actual demand. So he went with the green sheets for the mean time.

But either way, the number is controlled by Rhode Island and not by your field management.

Plus you always have flex....

What?!?!?! You have got to be kidding? Super CVS man has left the company? I don't believe it!!!

I'll give you credit for being man enough to come on here and admit it.

Last edited:
Cutting hours will profit in the short term, but when 10-25% of the customers show up with their script not ready it will eventually catch up to the company. I'm sure their solution will be to increase adherence calls, increase the numbers of coupons, and cut more hours.

My CVS fills 2100 scripts a week on anywhere from 150-170 tech hours. Is that reasonable or do we just suck? It's hard to do any production when the pharmacist is at the drive through and the production tech is at register all evening. At least the drop of tech prints and pulls in the evening but throughout the day that doesn't happen

Last edited:
Compare my old pharmacy job (CVS) to my new pharmacy job (other retail):

Weekly script count: CVS 2800 new job 1200
Tech hours: CVS 210 new job 120
Pharmacist Overlap on Monday: CVS 2 hours (what a joke) new job 6 hours - six freaking hours, I could rebuild a pharmacy in that amount of time
Breaks during a 6, 8, 10, 12, 0r 14 hr shift: CVS None New job 30 minute paid lunch every day, even the weekend shifts

Vacation: CVS 2 weeks, after 6 months even if you have been with the company for several years new job 3 weeks, plus 3 personal days, plus all holidays off to spend with your family, as it should be

Plus all the CVS metrics: SOS, myImpact, KPM, WeCare, MCE (my customer experiece), PCQ, Immunizations, Action Plans, Action Note Follow through, ExtraCare Card Scan rate, etc. For those not in the know several of those metrics listed above are actually charts of metrics that have 5 to 10+ metrics on them that you are graded on, such as the SOS, or the MCE, etc. This is why working for CVS is hell.

Compare my old pharmacy job (CVS) to my new pharmacy job (other retail):

Weekly script count: CVS 2800 new job 1200
Tech hours: CVS 210 new job 120
Pharmacist Overlap on Monday: CVS 2 hours (what a joke) new job 6 hours - six freaking hours, I could rebuild a pharmacy in that amount of time
Breaks during a 6, 8, 10, 12, 0r 14 hr shift: CVS None New job 30 minute paid lunch every day, even the weekend shifts

Vacation: CVS 2 weeks, after 6 months even if you have been with the company for several years new job 3 weeks, plus 3 personal days, plus all holidays off to spend with your family, as it should be

Plus all the CVS metrics: SOS, myImpact, KPM, WeCare, MCE (my customer experiece), PCQ, Immunizations, Action Plans, Action Note Follow through, ExtraCare Card Scan rate, etc. For those not in the know several of those metrics listed above are actually charts of metrics that have 5 to 10+ metrics on them that you are graded on, such as the SOS, or the MCE, etc. This is why working for CVS is hell.

Where do you work now?

Cutting hours will profit in the short term, but when 10-25% of the customers show up with their script not ready it will eventually catch up to the company. I'm sure their solution will be to increase adherence calls, increase the numbers of coupons, and cut more hours.

My CVS fills 2100 scripts a week on anywhere from 150-170 tech hours. Is that reasonable or do we just suck? It's hard to do any production when the pharmacist is at the drive through and the production tech is at register all evening. At least the drop of tech prints and pulls in the evening but throughout the day that doesn't happen

The ratio looks right. It is the new standard. I have exactly same issues. It is hard to do any type of production because everyone is helping actual customers. And forget about the phone. They used to push hard on execution and <20 second response time but these days when I call other stores for transfers, it is not uncommon to stay on hold for 5-10 minutes. So you know this is systemic.

Retail pharmacists shouldn't even be called pharmacists, they should be called retail slaves for all the stuff they have to put up with when it comes to corporate demands and customer demands. With the current state of retail, I can't see many pharmacists lasting more than 5 years in retail hell. Only the desperate ones that need to pay of their 150k loans will put up with the BS.

Last edited: