Working as an associate- license suspension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beryeuni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered a job at a private practice but found out that one of the main dentists there got his license recently suspended and now under probation. This dentist is not the owner of the office but I still feel doubtful about joining perhaps due to office image, patient retainment, etc.. Can you guys share some insight for my situation? Is it ok to accept the job since that dentist is gone or should I avoid?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was the suspension for?

Is the investigation over?

Find out what is was for (should be able to find it on your state's website.) If it's for sub-quality of care or OSHA issues, RUN.

Most patients won't know about suspensions/license losses. So odds are you won't run into patient retention issues.

The thing to worry about is the reputation that comes from working an office with such a dentist within the dental community. When it comes time to work at another office, it may be a hard thing to spin on your resume.

Think long and hard before you accept the offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very careful about accepting this job because you will be scrutinized by the board. You don't want to be under their radar and have a target on your back, especially since you are young and want to practice for many years.

I would be very careful about accepting this job because you will be scrutinized by the board. You don't want to be under their radar and have a target on your back, especially since you are young and want to practice for many years.

you're absolutely right.
never associate yourself with a place or a doctor that's had bad reputation
*cough* dental chain *cough*