working as adental hygieniest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi , anyone has any idea if an internationally trained dentist can work as a dental hygienist in the US without giving boards and having to undergo 4 yrs of training

Members don't see this ad.

another thing .. anyone familiar with rules for state of MA or CT .

As far as I know, by law is it illegal, because to work as a dental hygienist one should have a diploma in dental hygiene and a licence.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi toothie
you have to go through the school for about 2 years and pass the boards and then got license to practice its different for different states. check adha.org. I hope this helps
JGR

JGR said:
hi toothie
you have to go through the school for about 2 years and pass the boards and then got license to practice its different for different states. check adha.org. I hope this helps
JGR

hi i did ....but couldnt find any info of any help.... any idea if you have to work as a dental assistant how much do they usually pay... and do i need any aditional liscence like the Xray and crown polishing etc....

Hi
I think you must have a lisence.It is against the law.But according to me it all depends on the dentist thatis willing to hire you.I did it .I was hired by the US navy with contract for 1 year but it was in Bahrain.Anyways,this is still the US goverment and everibody knew that i did not have a hygiene lisence.I guess it all depends on your luck + different states has different requirements.

nelly gaydarova said:
Hi
I think you must have a lisence.It is against the law.But according to me it all depends on the dentist thatis willing to hire you.I did it .I was hired by the US navy with contract for 1 year but it was in Bahrain.Anyways,this is still the US goverment and everibody knew that i did not have a hygiene lisence.I guess it all depends on your luck + different states has different requirements.
thanks for ure input , lets c if my luck works .. otherwise the option of working as a dental assistant is always there.... want to work for experiance sake till i ge tinto any univ... for DDS

hi,it varies by state,but most states require u to pass the dental hygienist exam,which is a one day exam and i dont think u need to attend any course for that.

colgate said:
hi,it varies by state,but most states require u to pass the dental hygienist exam,which is a one day exam and i dont think u need to attend any course for that.

hi,
any idea what rules apply in MA.. or any info where i can get more info on this subject..
thanks

toothie said:
hi,
any idea what rules apply in MA.. or any info where i can get more info on this subject..
thanks[/QUOTE

Hi,

I did a lot of research in this regard but now have ended up going to join the two year dental hygienist program. I contcted the hygienists board & they said I have to go to school inorder to get a liscense as a dental hygienist. Florida is the only state that allows you to take the hygienist exam if you have passed the NDBE exam.

I am going to school this fall & in the meanwhile reake part 1 to improve my score.
I hope this helps, let me know if you still have any questions.

thanks... i guess thats quiet clear that if one has to prastice as a hygienist go thru school again... thanks for ure info....

[hi toothie

Hi Mega, what do you need to apply to the dental hyginiest program? What kind of paperwork do they ask for ?? Can you guide me please