working as a locum doctor after after finishing residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dire Straits

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know the pros and cons of working as a locum physician, especially as a general surgeon. what is the pay like, how does the locum agency find jobs for you, how long do the jobs usually last, are the jobs hard to come by, and anything else that is important to consider?

Members don't see this ad.

dude any talk with a locums agency will answer all these questions you have.. I recommend Locum tenens.com or Alliance recruiting..

I would recommend you first seek information from physicians on the pros and cons of these opportunites, as well as what to look out for in the fine print of locums contracts. The AAFP has several articles on their site about locums-- what to look for, pros and cons, etc. ( http://www.aafp.org/x16657.xml ). Maybe some surgical journals or organizations have similar information. I'd recommend checking to see. Then, you will have a better idea of the questions you should be asking the Locums companies.