Working and PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPS100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If anyone has worked through PT school, I would like to know how it went. Since I am planning on getting married and attending PT school I am expecting it to be hell, but am willing to put up with it for a while. So, if anyone can share any experiences, please do!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year PT student and am working while in school. Depending on my class schedule I usually work 1-4 hours before class then 4-6 hours after class. However, I usually end up averaging 25-30 hours per week. I don't think my grades have suffered because of working.

Also, my wife and I had our first child in November.

It can be done. You just need to have proirities and know your limitations.

Congrats on the wedding! :) Getting married then starting grad school are two large transitions: I got married a week before classes began. So the decision is up to the both of you how you want to handle it. Is it more important spending what little free time you will have making a few bucks on the side or spending it with your spouse? Either is fine, as long as you both agree.

Personally, I can't imagine working more than a few hours a week while taking 20+ credits, but that's me. I say it depends upon the intensity of your program and how much time you need to study. If your schedule appears to be pretty intense, I recommend not working the first semester and see how it goes. If you did well and feel that you can handle it, then look for a part-time job or work-study where the hours might be flexible during exam time for the next semester. If you can handle the work load, I suggest maybe trying to find a PT Aide job or a research position under a faculty member so that you can apply what you learn.

Good Luck!