Working a few hours a week while in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going back and forth about refereeing like 2-4 hours every other week or every week. The assignor could schedule me after exams and I could make my own schedule by blocking off days. I was thinking of refereeing on Fridays and some Saturdays as well. I guess I just do not want to overcommit especially since I am an M1 student. I have been going back and forth but I think I could handle one game and the extra cash would be nice to pay for groceries. I contacted him expressing my interest several times and then decided not to signup but after my first exam. I think I can handle it. He would work with my schedule but the only thing is the registration fee is $70 so I do not wanna lose money but I would like to at least referee 2 games to make this up. I am interested in doing research as well. What are your thoughts? I know I only know myself the best but would appreciate your thoughts before I make the commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going back and forth about refereeing like 2-4 hours every other week or every week. The assignor could schedule me after exams and I could make my own schedule by blocking off days. I was thinking of refereeing on Fridays and some Saturdays as well. I guess I just do not want to overcommit especially since I am an M1 student. I have been going back and forth but I think I could handle one game and the extra cash would be nice to pay for groceries. I contacted him expressing my interest several times and then decided not to signup but after my first exam. I think I can handle it. He would work with my schedule but the only thing is the registration fee is $70 so I do not wanna lose money but I would like to at least referee 2 games to make this up. I am interested in doing research as well. What are your thoughts? I know I only know myself the best but would appreciate your thoughts before I make the commitment.

In other circumstances I've recommended that hell no you shouldn't work during medical school but refereeing sounds like it would be a good time to get a workout in, blow off some steam, interact with normal people and pursue a hobby all while getting paid.

I'd definitely strongly consider this and *pay attention* to not overextending myself. You'd have to slot this into the 'hobby' category as in "I'd do this for free, for fun because I enjoy it" for the referee thing to be worth it. If not, you can absolutely find better things to do with your soon to be sparse free time.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say do it. During my second year I worked 5-7 hours a week writing. I think this will be a great talking point for your residency app as well as the above benefits that medic mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is something I’d give the go-ahead for. It’s a fun thing for you. Med school is much easier to get through if you have ways to unwind and this sounds great.

So long as it's stress free. If you like the game and find it fun, and get some money, you'll have time. You might ha e to cut things short for anatomy but you can have a life.

Working part time in some service industry job or at a hospital? Nope.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it was recommended not to signup because I need to jump through too many hoops but oh well I guess. I'm going to try to stay active in my community volunteering and giving back

As long as it’s fun, I’d say definitely do it.

I worked throughout school, all four years. Non-trad so I took a hefty paycut to start school. Even if there are hoops, I would still consider it. Every student and resident needs something outside of medicine.

Waste of time and waste on your future earning potential, especially if you keep it up second year.

Any extra time should be going to hobbies to keep your mind sane and exercise to stay fit and keep your body in shape.

Easy to say in my shoes, but I digress.

Reactions: 1 user