Worked in my dad's private practice, put on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, need some advice. One summer I worked in my dads private practice. Is it ok to put this on my application in experiences section, or will it negatively effect me aka will admissions officers see me as privileged and thus be harder on me when reviewing my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, need some advice. One summer I worked in my dads private practice. Is it ok to put this on my application in experiences section, or will it negatively effect me aka will admissions officers see me as privileged and thus be harder on me when reviewing my application?

Depends, did you work or just sit and try to look important? If you worked then definitely put it. Many families have generations of doctors so adcoms won't hold that against you, well as long as you don't pull the my daddy's a doctor and that's why you should accept me card during interviews.

If you put it then you should be able to discuss it and how that time influenced your decision to become a physician. Just use caution in that if you worked in a medical practice you should be aware of able to discuss patient confidentiality.

Good Luck

Reactions: 1 users
Just a summer? Did you work other physicians offices in that case?

I don't think it would be a problem. Family influences plays a huge part in life decisions.
However, I would add it only if you can say a lot about it. For example, you worked side by side with your parent with direct teaching while he was evaluating patient. If it was just clerical work, it won't be as exciting. Some schools don't even count clerical work in a physician's office as patient contact.

I would put it unless you have something better to put on. If you learned a lot about medicine (pros/cons of career), that's fantastic to talk about. If you learned how to work with others, be part of a team, responsibility, that's fine too -- just don't try to make it sound more impressive than it was. Keeping busy looks good IMO.