Work while in PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick50

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you guys worked while in PT school??...I have a job that pays me 15 dollars an hour and will allow me to work between 15-20 hours a week while in school..Do you think this would be way too much..I need the money to survive...Anyone else have jobs and get by?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the students in my PT class had a job during PT school, even though it was discouraged. During my first semester of PT school, I worked at 3 different jobs for a total of ~30 hours per week and did not do well. (I also had roommates who were communications majors and rarely studied, so I also had too much of a social life.) I then started working less hours (~15-20 hours per week at 2 different jobs), and I started getting much better grades, even though there were definitely times that I felt overwhelmed. If you have a job that's flexible (ie-would let you work less hours around finals week), 15-20 hours per week of working is probably reasonable if you make school your first priority. Looking back, I wish I would have worked less hours and spent more time studying, but I have no idea how I would have gotten through school without working. I would say give it a try, and if you are completely overwhelmed and not doing well in school, cut back. Everyone can handle different workloads and amounts of sleep.

I personally don't have a job, but those I know who do have it pretty rough. A few work in retail or restaurants to earn money. Those jobs are good for hours (weekends and nights) but when Mothers day comes the Sunday before Finals week (busy restaurant day, hard to get it off) or Christmas shopping season comes the last few weeks of the Fall semester it's tough to get employers to work around that.

I did occasional work while in PT school as an instructor for an EMT anatomy/cadaver lab, in addition to being a prosector for the 1st year gross anatomy labs. It was great review and decent pay for little effort, and all instructors were given some slack around big exam times because we were all either PT or med students.