Work visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parkdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to know about the possibilities of getting work visa on completing DDS. Is it so hard to get a work permit to a foriegn dentist on completion of DDS(a big hurdle race).
I have heard one cannot establish a private clinic unless you have permanent residency(green card), is that ture?:( Does it mean that one might put in all that effort to get into a school ,invest tons of money and then end up in soooooooooooooooo much debt , no job and no work permit (h1)????????????? :eek:
Any info or replys will be appreciated... please help...
THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to know about the possibilities of getting work visa on completing DDS. Is it so hard to get a work permit to a foriegn dentist on completion of DDS(a big hurdle race).
I have heard one cannot establish a private clinic unless you have permanent residency(green card), is that ture?:( Does it mean that one might put in all that effort to get into a school ,invest tons of money and then end up in soooooooooooooooo much debt , no job and no work permit (h1)????????????? :eek:
Any info or replys will be appreciated... please help...
THANK YOU
There are big dental groups like Western dental that will apply for your H1 ( work visa) if u contract with them as a dentist.This does however mean that you are stuck working for them till u can get a green card.

Thanks for that information,but is it possible to repay back our loan working there?

Members don't see this ad :)
suppose i passed wreb and bench in california and ready for the license there , would the dental board of cali. grant it to me it i don't have u.s residency ? holding only a tourist visa ??? pls direct me about this and what to do about it ???

The question is whether there is many non-profit dental clinics? And what about the job opportunities there?

so the dental board of calif. won't grant me a full liscense until i have a work permit H1b visa right ??

so the dental board of calif. won't grant me a full liscense until i have a work permit H1b visa right ??

In order to work in this country (legally), you NEED to have a work permit. You'll be given a 29 month OPT if you are on a F-1 visa. You would then need to obtain a H1-B to work on completion of your OPT time. There are ways to extend H1 but you cannot extend OPT.
If you have specific questions related to immigration/visa issues, there are other forums that could help even more.
Good luck!

This doesn't make sense....Don't think that CDB deals w/ immigration and visa issues

In order to work in this country (legally), you NEED to have a work permit. You'll be given a 29 month OPT if you are on a F-1 visa. You would then need to obtain a H1-B to work on completion of your OPT time. There are ways to extend H1 but you cannot extend OPT.
If you have specific questions related to immigration/visa issues, there are other forums that could help even more.
Good luck!

Dear Skabbaraju

I don't think Dentist are eligible to file for 29 months OPT. If they are can you please specify me the site which says so. Becoz dentist code 51. is not eligible for it. www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm is the site to look for STEM list.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

Dentnep72

Dear Skabbaraju

I don't think Dentist are eligible to file for 29 months OPT. If they are can you please specify me the site which says so. Becoz dentist code 51. is not eligible for it. www.ice.gov/sevis/stemlist.htm is the site to look for STEM list.

Dentnep72
I am inclined to agree with you. Although I dont think dentist code is 51. That is Medical Scientist- MS, PhD.
I dont see Medicine(MD/ DO) on the list either

Dear Skabbaraju

Dentnep72
You would have to talk to an attorney or the Manager of International Student Services to get clarity on that. Again, I knew that Dentistry is not mentioned in the STEM list but I know a DMD graduate who got OPT for 29 months. Its better to go through this process with an experienced legal advisor.

You would have to talk to an attorney or the Manager of International Student Services to get clarity on that. Again, I knew that Dentistry is not mentioned in the STEM list but I know a DMD graduate who got OPT for 29 months. Its better to go through this process with an experienced legal advisor.

very well said :thumbup: