Other OT-Related Information Work-study or part-time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addiegirl27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into the University of Minnesota's OT program, and I am trying to weigh my options between doing work-study or working part-time. I am switching careers, but still hold a current teaching license for Illinois. I thought about applying for a sub certificate and substituting because I can usually pick and choose if I want to accept a sub assignment. However, I don't know much about work-study and the benefits of it other than it prevents reduction in financial aid. I feel I could make more subbing though. Just wanted to hear other people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted into the University of Minnesota's OT program, and I am trying to weigh my options between doing work-study or working part-time. I am switching careers, but still hold a current teaching license for Illinois. I thought about applying for a sub certificate and substituting because I can usually pick and choose if I want to accept a sub assignment. However, I don't know much about work-study and the benefits of it other than it prevents reduction in financial aid. I feel I could make more subbing though. Just wanted to hear other people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance! :)

I think the tough part of working part-time would be having a rigorous schedule. Even if you decide to sub, you'll most likely have classes during school hours so subbing would be difficult around your class schedule. At one of the schools I interviewed at had a current graduate student who did work-study. She loved it. She only had to commit to 10 hours a week and she said doing work-study under the OT department was flexible with her studying. She was able to study and work at the same time. I guess the benefits depend on each program. You should email someone from the department to give you more information about it :)

Thanks for the input! I am hoping they have more information when they send that packet. The good thing about U of Minn is that with the hybrid format, I only meet like 4-5 times the first semester, and then it slowly increases throughout the program. I also don't know what to expect as far as workload goes. I know it will be hard, but I am not sure just how hard... lol. Maybe the 10 hours a week wouldn't be too terrible of an idea either.