This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to apply for work study at the school i'll be starting at this summer, or if i should rely only on loans. Would working during medical school add anything to residency applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost no one works during medical school. A lot of schools do not even allow you to have a job while enrolled. Just take out loans.

Reactions: 2 users
My school has flexible work study opportunities that pay $15/hour. I figured it could be a good option as long as I don't work too many hours and stay on top of school. I'd like to hear from someone who's done work-study during med school, if there's anyone out there

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't do a work study program, but I do work for an online company that I've been working for since undergrad. I only manage 5-10 hours a week though, as it's really tough to find spare time.

I ended up dropping my work study, but people that do their work study at my school at the library largely just sit there and study and do occasional work related things. Just ask other students at the school you'll be going to, they can give you more insight.