Work permit for IMG fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunkyR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had some experience in applying for a work permit for a fellowship year.

I'm finishing Radilology in Australia and looking to spend my fellowship year overseas hopefully in the UK.

I've read through all the rule changes about IMGs and work permits.

Just a question, do you think that it's possible to get around the work permit (ie not to compete with the other 10,000s EU doctors) for a fellowship place if the UK hospital advertises it as a non-Royal College of Radiologists-accredited fellowship job (ie like a service year)? My Aussie college doesnt require the job to be UK accredited.... (btw I have full GMC registration)

From the GMC website:
There may also be opportunities in posts that are not approved training posts, designated service posts, which nonetheless may give useful experience and some training.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had some experience in applying for a work permit for a fellowship year.

I'm finishing Radilology in Australia and looking to spend my fellowship year overseas hopefully in the UK.

I've read through all the rule changes about IMGs and work permits.

Just a question, do you think that it's possible to get around the work permit (ie not to compete with the other 10,000s EU doctors) for a fellowship place if the UK hospital advertises it as a non-Royal College of Radiologists-accredited fellowship job (ie like a service year)? My Aussie college doesnt require the job to be UK accredited.... (btw I have full GMC registration)

From the GMC website:
There may also be opportunities in posts that are not approved training posts, designated service posts, which nonetheless may give useful experience and some training.

Hmmm. Almost sounds like a "Staff Grade" or "Trust Grade" position. While these are less competitive than the training program, they are still quite competitive particularly as one can now become a consultant by following the non-training program pathway. (ie you dont have a training number, but you obtain all the competencies and pass the exams).

I honestly believe that it may be quite difficult for you, but that certainly doesn't mean that a visa will definitely not be available.

I guess doing some associated clinical research as part of the position to build on your previous research would help you. ie "applicants must have experience of xyz research"....that would improve your chances.

You don't have a British or European born Grandparent? That can help with the visa situation. Good Luck.