Work or travel, summer before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1097916

I’m a travel nurse and making decent $15000 /mon take home. Working the summer would let me pay for the first year tuition.

But people are telling me this summer might be the last summer I would get to enjoy. And my family lives in another country so I would like to visit them too.

Should I work until school starts and save as much as I can or should I travel/visit my family? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Summer between year 1 and year 2 will be your last free summer. You won't be able to make that kind of money during your 4 years. I did remote research while down under during summer after year 1. I would make that $$$ and push the vacay until after year 1.

If you are making that money then work and pay for your tuition. That advice is not for people with that kind of earning potential. Having less debt could be career trajectory changing depending on how much debt and what your interests are.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Same boat as you but i don't really think i can afford traveling anyways so i rather just put my paycheck down to building savings account (i see a lot of my medical school friends in financial emergencies with no savings account) or to pay my tuition