Work for spouse in Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that it is hard-impossible for a spouse to find work in the Caribbean. Is this true? I am particularly interested in Ross and SG's. My wife is a RN here in the states, would that make it any easier to find work? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My husband got accepted to SGU and we are going in January. I am also an RN...and from talking to SGU students and their wives(they have a really supportive significant other program)...their isn't much work to be found. There are a few jobs in the clinic on campus (but don't pay well). RN's in the Caribbean basically get minimum wage. There are a few jobs on campus in the bookstore (and need a degree for that). The employment is horrible in Grenada...so they have to justify giving a job to an American over a Grenadian (usually this is done if you have a degree..gives some kind of seniority). Also, they don't hand out work permits to people that aren't Grenadians...so basically don't count on your wife as a source of income...because chances are very, very slim. You can send away for SGU's significant other packet (it is full of info, and has info about working in there). Good luck..and hope to see you in the sunny Caribbean! :)