Work for medical school graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what type of job/work can a recent graduate of medical school obtain, in the medical field. What position in the hospital would provide good medical experience (without having completed residency)? Would a med. grad. be able to work as a physician assistant?
Do you think that smaller clinics that are in need of drs. would accept a med. grad. to work for them?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth would anyone go to med school so they could work as a PA? Are you thinking of moonlighting opportunities or something? Basically if you finish med school and want a job without going through residency it will have to involve non patient care. Some people go into business or research.

If you want to be a PA, go to PA school, it is a lot less expensive and less time consuming!

yaah said:
Why on earth would anyone go to med school so they could work as a PA? Are you thinking of moonlighting opportunities or something? Basically if you finish med school and want a job without going through residency it will have to involve non patient care. Some people go into business or research.

If you want to be a PA, go to PA school, it is a lot less expensive and less time consuming!

No, what I mean if there is some time before starting residency and finishing med. school, then, what kind of work could a med. school grad. do before starting residency, for a few months or so?

I agree about going to med. school and then working as a PA...it doesnt make sense!

Paid options are slim.
In the past, med school grads in Indiana were allowed to see patients without completing an internship (only state I knew of with this oddity, and it may be defunct). They did indeed operate as an NP or PA of sorts, i.e., they had to have a physician in charge of them. Not every note had to be signed, but an MD or DO had to be in charge of them and 'review' their work. This type of set-up still exists widely for NP/PA 's and lends itself at times to less than honorable alliances. (doc gets small kickback for sponsoring the NP or PA who then can run their own clinic$).
If this seems like an option you would like and live near Indiana, you'll have to call the state licensing board.
Otherwise, why do you have time off?
You can do research. You can review charts for insurance (zzzzz). You can do it for lawyers (grrrrrrrr).
You can PM me if you'd like.

or you can just chill.

in a couple of months you'll be bustin yer a$$ 80 hours a week for <minimum wage and free vending machine food.

do you want to see patients?

if not, there are good opportunities out there.

firms like mckinley are always looking for good medical consultants. all you need is an md (no residency) and you can get a good consulting job. starting salary is close to 150K. but you will work hard 60-80hrs/week.

depending on your background, there are probably good jobs in medical technology/biotech and research if interested.

you could also sell out and work for a pharmaceutical company. they pay really well, but i think you'd have to commit for more than just a couple months.....i think most people have one year contracts, but that could vary depending on the firm and the position.

scrub monkey said:
do you want to see patients?

if not, there are good opportunities out there.

firms like mckinley are always looking for good medical consultants. all you need is an md (no residency) and you can get a good consulting job. starting salary is close to 150K. but you will work hard 60-80hrs/week.

depending on your background, there are probably good jobs in medical technology/biotech and research if interested.

Well, I WAS mostly interested in seeing patients, BUT.....what is mckinley? I mean, if I am able to make that much money and am able to work just for a few months, then, that would be great. I need the experience, but also the money would come in handy for expenses!
Where is mckinley located?
thanks!

Peeshee said:
Well, I WAS mostly interested in seeing patients, BUT.....what is mckinley? I mean, if I am able to make that much money and am able to work just for a few months, then, that would be great. I need the experience, but also the money would come in handy for expenses!
Where is mckinley located?
thanks!

Sounds like scrubmonkey meant to say McKinsey. They're a prestigious consulting firm who often hire people with advanced degrees (MDs, PhDs) who don't want to continue in the fields for which they've trained.

That's not a short-term thing though, that's a career change.

Personally, I second doogie howser's suggestion. Why don't you just chill? Recharge your batteries for residency.