Work Experience Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alot of MBA programs that I am interested in have stated in their admission requirements that applicants need at least 5 years of professional work experience.

Does a 4 year psychiatry residency count towards this requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard residencies can count as work experience, especially considering some md/mbas get the mba with no work experience at all in combined programs.

prominence said:
Alot of MBA programs that I am interested in have stated in their admission requirements that applicants need at least 5 years of professional work experience.

Does a 4 year psychiatry residency count towards this requirement?

A psychiatry residency is more than enough plus most schools familiar with medical education will count your clinical years in medschool as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho-mdmba said:
A psychiatry residency is more than enough plus most schools familiar with medical education will count your clinical years in medschool as well.

do you think these same business programs would grant get credit for your clinical years in medical school if you went to a foreign medical school, but did your 3rd year and 4th year clinical rotations at U.S. teaching hospitals?

i dont see why that would not be permissible

it all depends upon when and where you are applying. if you are applying while still in med school, they tend to relax the requirement at some places. the other factor is that these programs are aware how long MD training is. a residency will definitely qualify as work experience. if there are any questions, I would ask the programs you are interested in.