work experience in the u,s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andaljay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
use this thread to discuss your experiences working/observation at clinic here.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been observing at a clinic for the past 2.5 months. I initially contacted them after seeing positive reviews abt the doctor on the internet and they invited me for an interview.
The dental office(as they call it here) is owned and run by a husband & wife team, both DDS with over 20 yrs experience.
I wanted to go twice a week regularly to observe but the doc said that i would get bored and he would call me whenever something interesting came up.
So, I have been going once or twice a week from April and continue to do so.

The docs,staff & the patients are extremely friendly and very respectful.The doc always introduces me as a doctor from India and patients have no problem letting me observe them.
Its a small town with few indians and one of the patients even knew my husband!!

The doc is also curious about how we practice in India and asks me a lot of dentistry related questions which thankfully I have been able to answer correctly!:)
He does a lot of endo work and crown& bridge preps and has all the latest gadgets which is very impressive.
His work is excellent and extremly ethical & also takes a lot of pride in what he does which is very refreshing.
He even offered me a job once I finish school!!(Donno if he will remember it later!)

I think its a good idea to observe at a clinic if u dont have a work permit.

U r in touch with the latest developments in dentistry, understand how to interact with the patients here and generally learn how it is to be a good dentist in the US.Its been a welcome change for me and I enjoy it a lot.

You are lucky that the dentist allows you to come in and observe. I tried to be an observer but no luck, have been volunteering .
Did the dentist ask you to come for the interview knowing that you wanted to observe. wow, its great taht he asks you to cme in and observe when somethig comes up. good luck.

QUOTE=rtvj]I have been observing at a clinic for the past 2.5 months. I initially contacted them after seeing positive reviews abt the doctor on the internet and they invited me for an interview.
The dental office(as they call it here) is owned and run by a husband & wife team, both DDS with over 20 yrs experience.
I wanted to go twice a week regularly to observe but the doc said that i would get bored and he would call me whenever something interesting came up.

The docs,staff & the patients are extremely friendly and very respectful.The doc always introduces me as a doctor from India and patients have no problem letting me observe them.
Its a small town with few indians and one of the patients even knew my husband!!

The doc is also curious about how we practice in India and asks me a lot of dentistry related questions which thankfully I have been able to answer correctly!:)
He does a lot of endo work and crown& bridge preps and has all the latest gadgets which is very impressive.
His work is excellent and extremly ethical & also takes a lot of pride in what he does which is very refreshing.
He even offered me a job once I finish school!!(Donno if he will remember it later!)

U r in touch with the latest developments in dentistry, understand how to interact with the patients here and generally learn how it is to be a good dentist in the US.Its been a welcome change for me and I enjoy it a lot.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
ant tips on how to approach an office to be an observer, do u just show up and request the dentist, how do u go about it, ant pointers are welcome.

andaljay said:
You are lucky that the dentist allows you to come in and observe. I tried to be an observer but no luck, have been volunteering .
Did the dentist ask you to come for the interview knowing that you wanted to observe. wow, its great taht he asks you to cme in and observe when somethig comes up. good luck.

QUOTE=rtvj]I have been observing at a clinic for the past 2.5 months. I initially contacted them after seeing positive reviews abt the doctor on the internet and they invited me for an interview.

U r in touch with the latest developments in dentistry, understand how to interact with the patients here and generally learn how it is to be a good dentist in the US.Its been a welcome change for me and I enjoy it a lot.
[/QUOTE]

great work..its really good that you are sharing your experience with all of us....it would be of great help.....i am on east coast and is having tough time in finding any dental assistantship .......most of dentist here look for certifications......your post has enlinghtened some hope thanks.....

rtvj said:
I have been observing at a clinic for the past 2.5 months. I initially contacted them after seeing positive reviews abt the doctor on the internet and they invited me for an interview.

what does observer mean?
can observer do anything in the oral cavity?
i work as an assistant, now i can do temp crown,and do the prophy for patient.good for me to keep the feeling of my hands.

I googled a few dentists in my area and only his dental office had the maximum positive reviews. And he also had a website & email ID.
So I sent him a mail requesting observership and generally telling him my background and that I had passed Part 1 and currently was studying for Part 2.
He sent a mail back asking me to send my number so that the receptionist could call me for an interview.
She called me in a few days and I went with all my certificates.

It was not at all like an interview..jus an informal chat..I went when they were having lunch, so i joined them and the doc & assts. were all joking around and were extremely friendly.
He dint even ask me for my certificates.
The doc asked me a few questions abt my background and wat i wanted to learn by observing. I told him that i wanted to get familiar with how dental offices are operated in the US and how to interact with the patients here.
He asked me what speciality I like and what kind of procedures I enjoy.
It was a general discussion. I stayed back & observed some patients that day.
He did ask me if I could work as a DA but I told him It would be illegal as I dont have a work permit.
At the end of the day I ask the receptionist to let me know if there r some interesting cases for the week...If i think it is something I would like to observe, i let her know I am going to come on that particular day and she makes a note of it.
I am glad I am doing it part time becos I think going every day would get boring & sometimes frustrating becos U just have to stand there and watch and u will be itching to grab the handpiece from the doc and work on the patient!!And secondly, it gets tedious too as u have to stand all the time unlike the doc or assts. who get to sit at every procedure.

This was the first doc I contacted & I guess reading ur posts..am lucky to have been given the opportunity to observe!

Good luck!!

andaljay said:
ant tips on how to approach an office to be an observer, do u just show up and request the dentist, how do u go about it, ant pointers are welcome.
[/QUOTE]

Obsevership..means u jus observe the dentist.U cannot work on the patient.
Ppl without work permit usually do this to keep in touch with dentistry.

zsy_lzy said:
what does observer mean?
can observer do anything in the oral cavity?
i work as an assistant, now i can do temp crown,and do the prophy for patient.good for me to keep the feeling of my hands.

thank you for sharing your experiences.
zsy to do prophy do they just let u, or do u have to get a license to do it, i mean like what an assistant has

rtvj said:
Obsevership..means u jus observe the dentist.U cannot work on the patient.
Ppl without work permit usually do this to keep in touch with dentistry.

any body else as observer[

QUOTE=zsy_lzy]no license..only assistant job.
perfect[/QUOTE]

did u start as observer or directly as assistant.

QUOTE=zsy_lzy]no license..only assistant job.
perfect[/QUOTE]

anybody with volunteer experience in te clinics.
start as an assistant[/QUOTE]

hello friends,,i have joined a dental office yesterday itself as a volunteer,,its a big office with 6 dentists,5hygienists,5 auxillaries,,and nearly 15 chairs or more,,after an yr i am once again in touch with clinical dentistry,,feeling too good :D ,,,may be i am not allowed to work but i am enjoying watching things,,and i feel there's lotsa difference between indian dentistry and american,,,now i know thats the reason they make us to take clinical rotations again over here,,may be the theorotical part is the same but clinically it differs.....
i go 4hrs per day,,but i am feeling may be i shd concentrate more on my part 2 studies and application stuff and all,,but i dont wanna compromise on dental office timings,,,let me see how i can adjust things,,,,

HI friends,
I am also going to a dental office twice a weak as an observer.
The doctor is very polite and has a pretty good clinical work,
I had contacted 6-8 dentists before getting this oppertunity.
Though i serched at google ,but also looked at the local adds esp yellow pages and most importanty keep your eyes open when u pass a complex or bulevard,u might see some dental office close to ur home.Best would be try contacting them.

I would suggest u to first call to get an appointment and then
they might call u if they are intrested.

Hope this helps u .

thanks everyone who posted in this thread :)
its great to know your experiences :thumbup:

any body with community service experience