words of wisdom...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nathansackett@e

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, here is my situation.
i am a nurse who has now decided to go to medical schools. i still need most of the pre-med classes.
I have a good GPA in undergrad (3.8) but it was in the social sciences. I then was admitted into a masters entry program of nursing and just finished the first year(3.5). i now have three options.
1. finish what i started - become an NP- i have a scholarship, good support, going to a very good school (UCSF), job security etc. But risk resenting not following my heart to become a doctor.

2. drop out of UCSF. Piss off alot of people. go to a pre-med program like Mills and apply to US medical school/DO schools. negatives: a ton more money (mills is 18k a year), no promise of getting into medical school/DO school, and alot more moving, instibility, unknown future, time. positives: could work part time as nurse to pay most tuition while doing pre med, could have time to do research, good possibility of getting into big name school in US (equal chance of not though!). i am afriad i wouldn't fit into the world of medicine at a big 'gunner' school. i sail, i like to work hard and play hard. i am not rich. not a super achiever. love to learn, love to help people, love to grow, but do not want to work everyday and get **** on.

3. apply to foriegn schools (caribbean), go directly to thier pre-med program with somewhat of a slam dunk of getting in. Pro's: i love the tropics, want to live/work in tropics,i sail (live on a boat), maybe the people are more alternative like me, could begin on this project now instead of having to wait 4 more years (2 years premed, 1 year glide, 1 year work ing full time and applying to pre-med). negatives: could get looked down on forever, maybe the quality isn't the same? tons of money, not the same chances of getting residency spots? maybe i am being too impatient?

anythoughts?thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.