Words of Encouragement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was a little over 4 years ago that I decided while sitting in one of my law school lectures that I had made a mistake and still wanted to be a physician. After speaking with my then fiancee, we decided that it was worth at least trying. Since that decision life feels kind of like a blur. You look ahead and wonder, "Can I make it?" "What if I get a terrible MCAT score?" "Will I even get accepted?!" Then you start to get excited and remember that your undergraduate GPA wasn't all it should have been, and go back to the first question, "Can I make it?"

I just wanted to drop by this forum and tell you all that you CAN make it. I am living proof. I had a terrible undergrad GPA, and am living proof that the uphill battle can be won.

- A year for the MCAT, then barely got into the Georgetown SMP.
- Georgetown SMP for a year working really, really hard.
- First two years of medical school

Earlier this week I took Step 1, and am now officially a third year medical student. I think the occasion has made me feel sentimental, thus this post. I still can't believe that Step 1 is behind me, and my third year rotations are upon me.

This is getting kind of long. All I really wanted to get across is this: Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. You can. It will be hard, and it will be a long road, but someday you will finish taking Step 1 and look back on the years before and they will be a blur. All that will matter at that point is that you are going to achieve your dream of practicing medicine. These forums were a huge help back in the day, and I'm glad they are still here as a source of information.

Fight the good fight. Don't. stop. fighting. You really can do it...

Best,
DrJD

Members don't see this ad.

It was a little over 4 years ago that I decided while sitting in one of my law school lectures that I had made a mistake and still wanted to be a physician. After speaking with my then fiancee, we decided that it was worth at least trying. Since that decision life feels kind of like a blur. You look ahead and wonder, "Can I make it?" "What if I get a terrible MCAT score?" "Will I even get accepted?!" Then you start to get excited and remember that your undergraduate GPA wasn't all it should have been, and go back to the first question, "Can I make it?"

I just wanted to drop by this forum and tell you all that you CAN make it. I am living proof. I had a terrible undergrad GPA, and am living proof that the uphill battle can be won.

- A year for the MCAT, then barely got into the Georgetown SMP.
- Georgetown SMP for a year working really, really hard.
- First two years of medical school

Earlier this week I took Step 1, and am now officially a third year medical student. I think the occasion has made me feel sentimental, thus this post. I still can't believe that Step 1 is behind me, and my third year rotations are upon me.

This is getting kind of long. All I really wanted to get across is this: Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. You can. It will be hard, and it will be a long road, but someday you will finish taking Step 1 and look back on the years before and they will be a blur. All that will matter at that point is that you are going to achieve your dream of practicing medicine. These forums were a huge help back in the day, and I'm glad they are still here as a source of information.

Fight the good fight. Don't. stop. fighting. You really can do it...

Best,
DrJD

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, DrJD. As someone entering the Georgetown SMP this year, I've already found your blog posts both motivating and helpful. Congrats on finishing Step 1! I hope you remain an active member of these forums.

I love a great success story... good for you for following your dream and encouraging the rest of us :):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Inspirational! These words of encouragement certainly help along the way. Congratulations to you - you should feel very accomplished.

thank you, people like you, keep me inspired to continue to study and work hard just to make one dream of becoming a doctor a reality someday!

thank you for your hopeful post, I love hearing these types of stories!