Woohoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Complications

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One more day of intern year ... who's with me? Almost over. Oh yeah.

Members don't see this ad.

One more day of intern year ... who's with me? Almost over. Oh yeah.

I have only one more in-house call as a PL-25 or is it 26? or 27: It's hard to count that many years...!!!:p

What is annoying is that I have to do more call as a PL-26 (or is it 27, or 28) than as a PL-25 (or is it 26?). :mad:

Oh well, I hear the PL-40 year is easy!

Last edited:
Yes, congrats to the "graduating" interns. I'll tell you, though, one of the scariest days of my life was my first call as an "upper" level resident.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome!! congrates! but i do have a question. What does PL mean? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

awesome!! congrates! but i do have a question. What does PL mean? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

You know what?? Great question :D Some programs use PGY (post-graduate year, I get that one), but others use PL (for instance, my program), and I have no idea what it means either.

And is there a difference between the two besides just semantics?

You know what?? Great question :D Some programs use PGY (post-graduate year, I get that one), but others use PL (for instance, my program), and I have no idea what it means either.

PL = Pediatric Level.

Purely semantics.

And Ed is right - it isn't until the PL-2 year that residents are likely to be left "alone" in a situation in which they need to primarily intubate a baby or otherwise make a critical decision/perform a procedure. The PL-2 and PL-3 years may overall be easier than PL-1, but there will be some months/nights that are harder/more stressful than any PL-1 night/rotation. Of course, by then you're ready for it!

Isn't PL just Pediatric Level? As in PL-1 is a pedi intern. :)

We finish up tomorrow as well. :soexcited:

Our hospitals use the PL abbreviation as well: PL-1 = Postgraduate level 1

Droopy

PL = Pediatric Level.

Purely semantics.

And Ed is right - it isn't until the PL-2 year that residents are likely to be left "alone" in a situation in which they need to primarily intubate a baby or otherwise make a critical decision/perform a procedure. The PL-2 and PL-3 years may overall be easier than PL-1, but there will be some months/nights that are harder/more stressful than any PL-1 night/rotation. Of course, by then you're ready for it!

Well, thanks for deflating me :). Tell me about it, I start my first two weeks as a night senior. Crazy!

We finish up tomorrow as well. :soexcited:

Our hospitals use the PL abbreviation as well: PL-1 = Postgraduate level 1

Droopy

That's right, PL is "postgraduate years", and it's a coincidence that "Pediatric" starts with a P, too. I think OBP made a joke referring to PL as "Pediatric Level". ;)

Google "PL" and "pediatric level" and you'll see many links with the definition so it isn't just me...

for one of many examples...

http://www.peds.arizona.edu/residency/curriculum.asp

I'm sure there's a fascinating history to the term, but I don't care about it or which definition came first. I do know that at the institutions where I've been in the last 30 years, it was defined as "pediatric level". Of course, it is identical to PGY, post-graduate year in meaning, but, pedi has used it's own term for at least 30 years, probably much longer.

Hmmm, interesting. So a Med-Peds resident has 4 Pediatric levels to go through, then? :D