Woohoo! I'm shadowing!!!!

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be shadowing an ER doctor and a Trauma surgeon on a friday night (through midnight).

Members don't see this ad.

I will be shadowing an ER doctor and a Trauma surgeon on a friday night (through midnight).

Tell me how you managed to shadow a Trauma Surgeon through midnight.

Please tell me. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats dude! Enjoy. (and take mental notes ;) :D)

My summer is going to be pretty basic, so I think i may try to find some type of Shadowing/Internship/Volunteer Experience as well.

Make sure to let us know how it went!

Congrats dude! Enjoy. (and take mental notes ;) :D)

My summer is going to be pretty basic, so I think i may try to find some type of Shadowing/Internship/Volunteer Experience as well.

Make sure to let us know how it went!

I'll keep you posted.

The local hospitals in my area have an age requirement of being at least 16. I'm only 15 but I'll be turning 16 this November, I can't wait until I get to shadow. Have fun on Friday!!

The local hospitals in my area have an age requirement of being at least 16. I'm only 15 but I'll be turning 16 this November, I can't wait until I get to shadow. Have fun on Friday!!

Thanks. It's next friday. I will post about my experiences.

That's awesome. Make sure you eat before your shifts! I had one high school student pass out on me!

Survivor DO

That's awesome. Make sure you eat before your shifts! I had one high school student pass out on me!

Survivor DO

Haha. I hope not! I don't know. I've watched surgeries online but have never seen one in person.

Awesome :) Tell us how it goes!!! :) Have fun....:) (That's such a weird thing to say...and most people would probably look at me weird, but oh well.)

Awesome :) Tell us how it goes!!! :) Have fun....:) (That's such a weird thing to say...and most people would probably look at me weird, but oh well.)

If you think about it, what we like is rather strange.

I like the science about it, but when you think about it, it's pretty weird. I would be first in line to watch a trauma surgeon or be in the emergency room, but when you think about it, these patients are dying. Ironic if you ask me.

If you think about it, what we like is rather strange.

I like the science about it, but when you think about it, it's pretty weird. I would be first in line to watch a trauma surgeon or be in the emergency room, but when you think about it, these patients are dying. Ironic if you ask me.

When I tell my non science fanatic friends about my interest in trauma they think I have some sort of sick fascination.

That's great, have fun! You're very fortunate, doctors, especially surgeons, around here are so lame when it comes to shadowing. If you mention you're premed, they almost automatically say no. Gotta have connections, which is why I'm shadowing my friends father (IM) tomorrow lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, have fun! You're very fortunate, doctors, especially surgeons, around here are so lame when it comes to shadowing. If you mention you're premed, they almost automatically say no. Gotta have connections, which is why I'm shadowing my friends father (IM) tomorrow lol.

Congrats. Tell us how it goes.

Congrats. Tell us how it goes.

I didn't end up going. Long story short, its been a rough week, tired, no gas money(well trying to save as much as possible), hot water heater is broken so I couldn't take a normal shower. Lol.

I didn't end up going. Long story short, its been a rough week, tired, no gas money(well trying to save as much as possible), hot water heater is broken so I couldn't take a normal shower. Lol.

:( did you reschedule? I'm not going next friday. We had to reschedule to sometime in March.

:( did you reschedule? I'm not going next friday. We had to reschedule to sometime in March.

Well the cool thing about it being my friend's dad is I can come in whenever, I just need to tell him before hand. I have 3 exams next week, so I'll stop by during spring break for a couple of days probably.

That sucks though, something happen?

Damn connections people... I have absolutely 0. My parents don't know any doctors, so i'm a bit jelly. Nevertheless, congrats.

Damn connections people... I have absolutely 0. My parents don't know any doctors, so i'm a bit jelly. Nevertheless, congrats.

^ Same -_____- Congrats though!

I've been snooping around my local Hospital's website and found out that they have a shadowing program. You just need to contact the department you want to shadow. They'll usually get you set up with someone in the field of your choice (except the OR). I plan on doing some shadowing in the summer.

Try checking your nearest hospital's website. Usually there's an inquiry email address about shadowing.

I've been snooping around my local Hospital's website and found out that they have a shadowing program. You just need to contact the department you want to shadow. They'll usually get you set up with someone in the field of your choice (except the OR). I plan on doing some shadowing in the summer.

Try checking your nearest hospital's website. Usually there's an inquiry email address about shadowing.

Yeah, I've actually been calling since the beginning of this year, but not one of the doctors who I have called have even called me back..

So there's that. :rolleyes:

Kinda just gave up. I'm fine with waiting until UG.

Yeah, I've actually been calling since the beginning of this year, but not one of the doctors who I have called have even called me back..

So there's that. :rolleyes:

Kinda just gave up. I'm fine with waiting until UG.

Wow! Not even a courtesy call?? :eek:

I called twice and got an immediate call back after the second time. Did you call the Office (or Department in a hospital's case) or the doctor directly? I found it easier to call the business conductors of the office/department. I know you said you gave up, but just thought i'd share a little more info.

That really sucks though. Usually there nice enough to call and politely turn you down rather than giving you the cold shoulder.

Wow! Not even a courtesy call?? :eek:

I called twice and got an immediate call back after the second time. Did you call the Office (or Department in a hospital's case) or the doctor directly? I found it easier to call the business conductors of the office/department. I know you said you gave up, but just thought i'd share a little more info.

That really sucks though. Usually there nice enough to call and politely turn you down rather than giving you the cold shoulder.

Well I started with the hospitals HR department to get info, and they told me I'd have to arrange it with doctors directly.. Probably called about 8 before I realized none were calling back, so I was just like ehh :rolleyes:

It's all fine with me, as long as I can do it when I get in college I'm fine:D

I was in the same situation as you.

Call up local hospitals or email some physicians(you can find emails on hospital websites) and ask about shadowing opportunties.

I was in the same situation as you.

Call up local hospitals or email some physicians(you can find emails on hospital websites) and ask about shadowing opportunties.

I will have to do that too. Unfortunately my connections will run out eventually.