Wondering what I need on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ty4hokies

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated with a 3.89gpa 3.93science gpa
I have over 1K hours of clinical work experience in an ICU
Many Volunteer activities
Did research for a year and a half in Microbiology
Wrote a Senior Thesis
Presented at a Research Conference
What should I shoot for with my MCAT?......I took it May 23.....results will soon be here.

Members don't see this ad.

Mean MCAT for those admitted is about 30-31 these days. The higher your score, the more selective schools you can reasonably apply to.

I have graduated with a 3.89gpa 3.93science gpa
I have over 1K hours of clinical work experience in an ICU
Many Volunteer activities
Did research for a year and a half in Microbiology
Wrote a Senior Thesis
Presented at a Research Conference
What should I shoot for with my MCAT?......I took it May 23.....results will soon be here.

30 or above is ideal. anything less than a 27 is trouble. No less than an 8 in any section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how your practice scores were, but with your grades and EC I'd say you're an almost automatic in with a 31+ to at least one med school lol

Took mine on May 27th so cross your fingers for both of us :D

I think you should be fine with that GPA as long as you didn't bomb your MCAT. A good rule of thumb I've been told is (GPA * 10) + MCAT > 70 and you'll be competitive.

If you get 30+ you are golden, but even if you are at a 28 or 29 I still think you will make it.

Thanks so much for the responses. I am going to be crossing my fingers like everyone else for the test results in the next few days.

I think you'll have a GREAT chance at top tier schools if you score 30+.