Wondering if I'll have to reapply in the end . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carl Weathers

I voted for Arnold
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA and MCAT are a little bit above the average for MD matriculants (3.62 and 32 MCAT). I'm a white guy (so I'm not really underrepresented)- just received my BS in biology, and I'm applying now to MD schools, gonna send out DO apps pretty soon.

I'm worried that I don't have enough volunteering. I got some the summer between my junior and senior year at a hospital near my home. But, I did work for two years and a half years at with an intervention program for highschoolers that had hypertension. It gave me the opportunity to take blood pressure, medical histories, educate the students about ways to improve their health. So, I guess that something I can say that is related to the clinical side.

I've had a couple other jobs through college and worked full time for every summer that I've been in college. (Parents were not able to help out with money at all.)

Had a leadership position in the AMSA chapter at my school. I've shadowed like 5 or 6 doctors, but they were all one day deals.

Now I'm working in a research lab full time (I started working there for about 20 hours a week the first semester of my senior year). I also work part time for Kaplan, proctoring tests.

There's probably some stuff I forgot to say, but I hope that gives a general idea about me. So, I'm planning to volunteer now with any free time and shadow whatever doctors I can find, and send update letters. My questions after this long introduction:

Has anyone on here had experience with sending update letters? Does anyone know of people who think that they got in because of the things they did while applying? Am I kinda p*ssing in the wind by applying now?

Here's the schools I'm applying to...I think they're reasonable (obviously Brown and Wake are reaches :) )

Tufts
All the Florida schools
Brown
Wake Forrest
UVA
Georgetown
George Washington
Univ. of Cincinatti
NYMC
Boston University
Wake Forrest
NYU
Drexel
Temple
Rosalyn Franklyn

Then 3 DOs . . . NSU, LECOM Bradenton, WVSOM

Thanks for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get into a DO, no worries, and I do think that you are competitive for MD's.

Good Luck!

Like the previous reply said, 'you'll do fine.'

Add at least NYU and UVA on your list of 'stretch' schools. Didn't know Wake was that good. I thought Brown had most of its students from their undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are close to mine, with similar EC's (although I admit that is my weakest part as well). So far I have an interview request from the University of Pittsburgh, but I'm hopeful for more (I know I'll at least get one from my state school...had one last year with a 27 and NO clinical experience >). If you are really that concerned, and assuming that money IS important to you, just choose your schools wisely...don't waste money on Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.... Sure, include some reach schools, but don't waste your time and money....focus on your state schools and other mid-tier schools around the country. This year my AMCAS total was $500-600 but my secondary total came to almost $1000, so keep those in mind too. Understand that you are investing in your future...but also ask yourself what you're willing to loose if you aren't accepted. You should do well as long as you apply ASAP. Best of luck!

You know I wonder the same thing. I think I'll probably have to reapply again too. I've been stalking this forum for about a week and have come to the conclusion that I am screwed. For one I think I'm too late. I have to wait for my August MCAT score. I've submitted the AMCAS and it should be verified soon...it's been 4 weeks, but some schools won't give me secondaries until they have that score. I've got all the essays for my schools from this forum, so I'm writing my secondaries now, but I'm still worried about the timing. Add on the fact that I'm not sending a composite letter, which is basically my fault. I set up appointments with the premed advisor and all was well, until I missed the last appointment during senior year when I found out my grandma was diagnosed with cancer. I couldn't reschedule because it was the end of the year and no appointments were open. So now they say I don't have a current relationship with the advisor. So I have to send my individual letters with just a cover letter. That is going to look shady and I don't want to whine to schools about why I don't have it.
Then I'm doubting my ECs. I worked all 4 years of school because I needed the money. I did do a tutoring/teaching thing one semester, I volunteered at Miami Children's for 2 1/2 years, and I was VP of a club for 2 years and helped organize a major event they put on. During summers I worked because I needed money, and I had no car and my family only had one car so my opportunities were limited. I already graduated with a 3.98 and am now working at a Doctor's office. I have a lot of patient interaction, but I just feel like it's not enough. I don't have research experience and haven't done shadowing outside of the doctor I work for and he's a DO. I am going to call some MD's around my home to shadow during this year off, and I'm looking for research, but I live in one of the worst areas possible for that. Flint Michigan is not known for being a place overbrimming with research opportunities. Plus I still have to work, I'm paying for my car and loans.
I just feel sad, because I really want this and I feel like I dropped the ball. I know I can rebuild my relationship with the premed advisor, shadow some doctors, tutor at the local community college, and just reapply early next year but I wanted to go back to school soon. I hate being in limbo and not knowing what is going on with my future.
And on a last note, I don't even know what my MCAT score is! Even if it is over 30 I still feel like my situation is dire. I don't mean to be annoying, this has just been bothering me lately.

you'll be fine. Good luck with your applications.

Okay, a couple of thoughts here. Don't read SDN because it seems to just make you guys feels inadequate. The reality is that most people who get in don't have flawless applications. Also, August MCATers really do get admitted -- I doubt it's as big of a handicap as it's made out to be here. Third, it's September. It's way too early to think that you're going to have to be a reapplicant.

Okay, a couple of thoughts here. Don't read SDN because it seems to just make you guys feels inadequate. The reality is that most people who get in don't have flawless applications. Also, August MCATers really do get admitted -- I doubt it's as big of a handicap as it's made out to be here. Third, it's September. It's way too early to think that you're going to have to be a reapplicant.

Abosolutely!!! You wil be fine. You have good stats. I think your list of schools are fine. Good luck.

Rob

You really have to take everything you read on SDN with a grain of salt. There is a lot of good information on the forums, but just as much dissinformation and people just plaing lying for some reason. Good to luck to you all. I hope I don't have to reapply next year (I've had 3 TX interviews so far) as this is my 2nd year applying. But we do what we gotta do.