Wonder if anybody has an ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody...
Okay I'm a freshman in college and I've been volunteering at a handicap riding stable and in the NICU...I was wondering if anybody has an ideas about what else I should be doing? Or if this is a good start?
Thanks everybody!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by americanangel
Hey everybody...
Okay I'm a freshman in college and I've been volunteering at a handicap riding stable and in the NICU...I was wondering if anybody has an ideas about what else I should be doing? Or if this is a good start?
Thanks everybody!!!

Wow, that sounds really cool. Are you an avid equesterian? I love horses too.. not much time to ride though :-\

And working at the NICU is pretty impressive too.. most hospitals around here are very restrictive about that department.

So if you love what you're doing.. stay with it. If not.. go forth young wo/man and find your passion.

hey thanks for the reply!!!
yeah I definatelly love what I'm doing!!! horses have always been one of my passions and I love being able to make some kids smile while I'll having a good time!!!! I love volunteering at the hosptial too...its so interesting...there is so much to learn!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get as many conspicuous tattoos as possible. Make sure that you get the letters "F U T U R E M D" tattooed on your fingers like Ozzy. That way, when you interview you can keep your hands on the table and prove your commitment to becoming a doctor.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

hey thanks for the reply!!!
yeah I definatelly love what I'm doing!!! horses have always been one of my passions and I love being able to make some kids smile while I'll having a good time!!!! I love volunteering at the hosptial too...its so interesting...there is so much to learn!!!

That's so cool. I was originally taught in the English style of riding on fine Arabian horses and I absolutely loved them. They're incredibly powerful and responsive animals.

But horses in general, if horses were as easy to maintain as dogs.. I'd want one. They're affectionate and gentle animals and if you treat them kind.. they fully reciprocate. It's cute when the horses try to communicate with you with nudges or looking over your shoulder. Hahaha.

I volunteered at a riding stable for disabled students for almost two years... it was WONDERFUL!

Actually, to be specific, both my horse AND i volunteered... as he was gentle enough to handle their training program right off the bat.

I daresay Jym (my horse) was more popular than I?? But then again, he's a palomino and I'm a brunette. Apparently even disabled kids prefer blondes :D

So, can I count my horse's volunteer hours too??:laugh:

Hey everybody...
Thanks everybody!!!

You're doing great, especially to start volunteering so early. Also:
- Get a prehealth advisor
- Learn about med school acceptance criteria (gpa, etc), and make sure you're in range.
- Prepare for the MCAT starting >1 year in advance
- Enjoy college. Have fun. Learn about yourself.
- Take a medical ethics course.
- If you volunteer at a (free) public health clinic, you'll get to do more than anywhere else.

Good luck!
:p :rolleyes: :p