Women's Interview attire question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc122333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a random question, but something that I really would like an answer to.

Do we (women) need to keep the buttons closed for the suit jacket during interviews? My jacket that I got a few years ago still fits me great, but shows my waist line when I button it up.. any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should button it. Sounds like maybe it doesn't fit properly.

This is a random question, but something that I really would like an answer to.

Do we (women) need to keep the buttons closed for the suit jacket during interviews? My jacket that I got a few years ago still fits me great, but shows my waist line when I button it up.. any ideas?
Your jacket should button. You don't have to unbutton it when you sit down (as opposed to men).

What do you mean that your "waist line" shows when you button it? Do you mean it fits your body? If so, that's how it should be.

Wear it like this:

suit.jpg

Not like this:
suit2.jpg

Or this (not that you would wear a casual blazer; my point is the bagginess of it):

suit3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
This interview clothing thing is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. How hard can it be to read a post and order a suit? It is almost fool-proof, right :penguin:?

First, smoke is not charcoal. It's lighter. Just like real smoke is lighter than charcoal. Seems obvious now.
Second, I should have ordered the correct size. Also seems obvious now, but after looking at the skinny model on my screen I felt supersized. Upsizing twice felt appropriate. Correcting that mistake is costing me $120 :whistle:. The seamstress suggested exchanging but I am out of time.

Now that my low fashion IQ is well established, I have shirt questions, with a twist.

I have a 35-40ish degree scoliosis curve, mostly sacral. This causes clothes to not line up properly at the hips, shoulders, and ankles. The seamstress pinned sides separately to make the suit look better, but I can't find a shirt. A collared shirt will not line up correctly with the jacket. I would love to find a shirt compatible with a racer back bra but that's not easy. The left shoulder is prone to bra strap problems (either showing at the neck line or slipping down on the arm depending on cut). I know that a bra strap peeking out could cost me a match so I'm trying to figure out a guaranteed plan to prevent that.

To be clear, it's not a health issue for me. It's cosmetic. I am careful to not bend at the waist, I exercise every day, etc. I carried twins full term--I don't have back problems. Just bra problems. And shopping problems. Maybe even some body image problems, but I can hide my crazy like a pro.

So if someone could post a link or even an image of what would work with a racer back bra and not call attention to my warped body that would be fantastic. I am 100% done with irl shopping so it has to be online.

Last question, what color would go best with a smoke gray suit? I wanted pink but that seems wrong now. I am really pale so it's hard to pull off white or cream.