Women Podiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desilicious316

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I spoke with a podiatrist who told me this would be the ideal job for a woman who wants to have a cerrer as well as raise a family. That souned great to me but I just wanted to know how true her statement was. Is podiatry (compared to becoming an MD) relatively easier in terms of for a working mother who wishes to raise a family as well as work outside the home?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently I spoke with a podiatrist who told me this would be the ideal job for a woman who wants to have a cerrer as well as raise a family. That souned great to me but I just wanted to know how true her statement was. Is podiatry (compared to becoming an MD) relatively easier in terms of for a working mother who wishes to raise a family as well as work outside the home?

I think that's a fair statement. It is possible to set up a part-time, low-stress podiatric practice. Some MD/DO specialties can also do the same but it depends upon the specialty into which you go. Getting the MD/DO specialty you want can be a crapshoot because you're at the mercy of the Residency to which you match. If you wanted to do cosmetic dermatology for instance but didn't match and instead became an Internist, you can look forward to long hours and lots of hard work. With podiatry you pretty much know what you're getting into before you start.

As a MD/DO you would likely have to take hospital call, which can really cramp the home life. Some DPM's do hospital call, some do not. Some places use Hospitalists, who are doctors that specialize in inpatient care. If you become a staff member of a hospital that uses Hospitalists, then you would not need to go into the hospital at night to admit patients. You may just take phone calls though.

I have heard of some women MD/DO doctors setting up practice-sharing arrangements, where three doctors split two full-time practices. The patients enter the relationship understanding that they have more than one doctor. The three doctors share two doctors' worth of staff and overhead expenses, which allows more time away from work yet doesn't completely destroy one's production. I don't know how common this arrangement is.

To have a part-time podiatric practice with good income you would likely need to be a part of a small podiatry group rather than solo or a part of a large multispecialty group. The overhead expenses can be very great in solo practices or in large multi-specialty groups, which means you'd need to produce more (i.e., work longer hours).

Nat

I think that's a fair statement. It is possible to set up a part-time, low-stress podiatric practice. Some MD/DO specialties can also do the same but it depends upon the specialty into which you go. Getting the MD/DO specialty you want can be a crapshoot because you're at the mercy of the Residency to which you match. If you wanted to do cosmetic dermatology for instance but didn't match and instead became an Internist, you can look forward to long hours and lots of hard work. With podiatry you pretty much know what you're getting into before you start.

As a MD/DO you would likely have to take hospital call, which can really cramp the home life. Some DPM's do hospital call, some do not. Some places use Hospitalists, who specialize in inpatient care. If you become a staff member of a hospital that uses Hospitalists, then you would not need to go into the hospital at night to admit patients. You may just take phone calls though.

I have heard of some women MD/DO doctors setting up practice-sharing arrangements, where three doctors split two full-time practices. The patients enter the relationship understanding that they have more than one doctor. The three doctors share two doctors' worth of staff and overhead expenses, which allows more time away from work yet doesn't completely destroy one's production. I don't know how common this arrangement is.

To have a part-time podiatric practice with good income you would likely need to be a part of a small podiatry group rather than solo or a part of a large multispecialty group. The overhead expenses can be very great in solo practices or in large multi-specialty groups, which means you'd need to produce more (i.e., work longer hours).

Nat

All good points :thumbup:

Hey, aren't you a part-time podiatrist, part time professional snow boarder? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
All good points :thumbup:

Hey, aren't you a part-time podiatrist, part time professional snow boarder? :laugh:
Depends on the season. Summer I pay myself to ride my mountain bike!

Great Topic...this is one of the reasons why I chose Podiatry.:)

Great Topic...this is one of the reasons why I chose Podiatry.:)

Yep me too. I want to have children in the very near future and I think this career would be a good balance of work and family. NatCh really summed it up well.:)

What specifically about podiatry makes it easier for one to have kids and raise a family?

What specifically about podiatry makes it easier for one to have kids and raise a family?

Hours after residency. The fact you aren't on call much (depending on what you choose to do)...pretty much ask yourself, "what makes derm or dentistry appealing?" and apply that to feet. It really is a solid field. I think once you get past the "ew feet" stage, it is a fulfilling profession that includes most, if not all of the challenges of medicine. Nearly every medical speciality, with the exception of derm, Anesthesiology (iffy), Pathology (iffy) shift work specialities (ER, Neonate, whatever else), have SOME form of call and emergencies. Even in radiology, unless your practice has a nighthawk service, you can be awoken from that nice sleep about 5-8 times a night. It might not be bad now, but as you get older it takes longer and longer for you to fall back asleep. Family practice, pediatrician, obgyn, near all surgical fields, internal medicine and specialities ALL have some form of call.

Now if you factor in that you still get to do surgical procedures and compare it to the likes of a surgical subspeciality, it begins to look appealing too. Women can make any specialty work, but when it comes to children, many what the chance to cut hours or not constantly have to juggle the extra child that is being on call.

NatCh's response was perfect.

Podiatry can be 3-4 days per week of 10a-5p heel pain and nail trimmings if you want it to be. On the other hand, it can be a 60-80hr per week gig of trauma surgery, teaching residents, and giving seminar lectures if you want that route and go get the training to do it. There are some MD/DO specialties which provide similar flexibility while retaining good income potential, but you really won't know until after 2nd year and pt1 boards if you have any shot at matching them.

One word of caution is just to be aware that you don't want to aim for the minimum. You can always switch from complex rearfoot problems to just basic bunions, hammertoes, and routine complaints, but you can't do the opposite if your training didn't cover it. Also, if you start pod school knowing you don't want a competitive residency and just aiming for Bs and Cs, you might flunk out altogether. By the same token, if your views changed and you decided you did want to get an elite program and top skills, you probably wouldn't have a competitive gpa to get it. Whatever route you want to go in the field, you still want to do the best you can and leave all doors open.

Hours after residency. The fact you aren't on call much (depending on what you choose to do)...
Not just "after residency," but during residency training also.

There are some podiatry residencies which are family friendly and fairly relaxed... circa 8a-5p M-F with very little call after the first year is over. Those programs are almost the polar opposite from what I'd want in a residency training, but it all depends on you and your end goals. If you're not in the hospital, you're not learning IMO, but, then again, that's only a bad thing if your goal is to learn a lot. If you are trying to get the basics and have free time during residency, there are programs for that. I don't really see a point of doing 4yrs of undergrad and 4yrs of pod school only to put it all in cruise control and take it easy during residency, but then again, to each his own..