Women Interview Attire - Bags!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SummertimeHappiness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been struggling so hard to find the perfect interview bag. During my med school interviews, I carried around a heavy leather Tumi bag that became really cumbersome during the tour portion of the interview (especially if it was hot outside, bleh). I vowed not to do this for my residency interviews.

My suggestion: Hedgren bags
- they're pretty affordable, and you get 20% off if you enter your email on their website
- free shipping on $75, 3-7 business days
- a lot of their bags weigh 1-2 lbs!
- super easy to find a size that will fit a standard 8 x 11.5" obligatory residency info folder we get on interviews, so need to awkwardly fold in half in some other bag.

I purchased the "Zircon RFID Medium 14" Tote, which is basically as light as air. It's not super fashionable like Kate Spade and whatnot, but it'll do the trick.

I hope this helps someone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A diamond encrusted Hermès Birkin will also fit the folder perfectly;)

Reactions: 6 users
Hello all! I have been struggling so hard to find the perfect interview bag. During my med school interviews, I carried around a heavy leather Tumi bag that became really cumbersome during the tour portion of the interview (especially if it was hot outside, bleh). I vowed not to do this for my residency interviews.

My suggestion: Hedgren bags
- they're pretty affordable, and you get 20% off if you enter your email on their website
- free shipping on $75, 3-7 business days
- a lot of their bags weigh 1-2 lbs!
- super easy to find a size that will fit a standard 8 x 11.5" obligatory residency info folder we get on interviews, so need to awkwardly fold in half in some other bag.

I purchased the "Zircon RFID Medium 14" Tote, which is basically as light as air. It's not super fashionable like Kate Spade and whatnot, but it'll do the trick.

I hope this helps someone! :)

Guys don't need a bag. Why do you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know that this was something people thought about until today.

For starters, have you ever seen women's dress pants? Where do you think a phone/wallet/chapstick/car keys would go?

Reactions: 6 users
I highly recommend the men in this thread try wearing womens pants for a day. Or read this fun analysis of pocket sizes

Every time I've worn mens/unisex pants for any reason, it's just mind boggling how much STUFF I can fit in my pockets! comfortably! I would care far less about finding the right bag if my clothing just came equipped with the right pockets.

Reactions: 7 users

I prefer to put my necessities like my keys, wallet, and phone into a bag as opposed to squishing them into my tiny pant suit pockets and risk them falling out and looking frumpy. Also, it's not uncommon to see men with a file folder for interviews; it's not a purse by any means but still an accessory.

Reactions: 3 users
For starters, have you ever seen women's dress pants? Where do you think a phone/wallet/chapstick/car keys would go?
This is why I pared my wallet down to minimalist size (2-3 cards and optional single folded bill). I leave all keys in my car except the car key itself, which I literally whittled down with my pocket knife to the slimmest size I could manage. I don't carry the remote because it's usually bulky and I can't stand that.

My wallet and single key fit fine in most dress pant pockets, even the ridiculous ones on women's suits. And if I find myself completely pocket-less, they're low-profile enough that I can actually reliably stuff them in my sock without issue.

I don't bring a cell phone on interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend the men in this thread try wearing womens pants for a day. Or read this fun analysis of pocket sizes

Every time I've worn mens/unisex pants for any reason, it's just mind boggling how much STUFF I can fit in my pockets! comfortably! I would care far less about finding the right bag if my clothing just came equipped with the right pockets.

God bless the people who made that webpage. Thanks for sharing!

I use a black Longchamp bag. I already had it and it fits a folder well. I keep snacks/mints, a water bottle, wallet, phone, and a small notebook to take notes.