Women in Orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgimpy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a bioengineering/pre-med major. Throughout high school, I was fortunate enough to shadow an orthopaedic surgeon for several weeks. He has been a tremendous influence on my life and I enjoy orthopaedics a lot. The thing that I have noticed is the lack of females in the field. I have a few reservations about entering a male-dominated field. In your experiences, is it difficult for women to excel in orthopaedics? My biggest concern is the work environment/attitude toward women. I know that orthopaedic residencies are highly competitive but I am willing to work hard and I’m dedicated to becoming a surgeon. Since I’m only pre-med I know that a residency is many years off but I like to look ahead and keep all of my options open. When it comes to planning, I get slightly obsessive. Thanks for your opinions and help.

Members don't see this ad.

As a 3rd year med student on surgery rotations I befriended several female orthopedics residents. On a morning between cases I spent an hour chilling in the physician lounge with a female orthopod and her male colleagues. I observed positive interactions between them, lots of joking around, and she was included in case discussions like any other physician.

Later over coffee I asked her about difficulty interviewing/matching in ortho, and how she gets along with the male residents - she told me that she had no problems, was asked no unfair questions (like, are you married, when will you be having kids --->which of course areillegal questions but still a common underlying concern/prejudice against women surgeons- and with some degree validity to that concern- but thats for another topic.)

So, generally every specialty has a personality stereotype. The orthopods are typically athletic, outgoing or outspoken, and playful. They have an interaction style thats lockerroom-esque. So, odds are if you're also an athlete, and/or are laid back, confident, and are the type of gal who works hard and can hang with the guys then you'll fit in and be treated fairly.

Among several surgical specialties I've come across med student applicants and residents with bad attitudes about females in their field.
Some examples of the negative messages Ive been subjected to:

1. They dont believe we will work hard enough. They think we will quit when we have babies. (source: A Community doctor's advice)
2. Ive been told that "You're setting your self up for a disappointing career and homelife by going into surgery, because you'll be a bad doctor and a bad mother ... You will be forced to split time between the two and as a result will do neither well." (Ortho applicant med student in my class who is a friend)
3. Ive been told that "the kind of women who go into surgery doesnt want to be around about her families or kids, so there is a selection bias for bitchy females in surgery." (ENT chief resident.)

The only reason I share these is that I'd like to make the point that there are negative attitudes out there about women in surgery, just like there are negative attitudes about anything else. Just stick to your plan, work hard, be who you are, and dont let anyone else discourage you from your dreams. Because for every nay-sayer who said med school was too hard, blah blah, surgery residencies are best for men etc. there have been 10 people cheering me on even if it was in subtle ways.

Best wishes. :thumbup: