Women-Friendly Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMom1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which neurology residency programs (if any) have particular policies or cultures in place that provide distinctive support for women's work/life requirements (e.g., reasonable maternity leave; day-care; lactation rooms in hospital) and targeted support for women's advancement in neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has to honor FMLA, so that's the baseline. Some will pay you for at least some of your time off, and some will not. Essentially everyone will work with you to make sure you can still graduate on time, but you'll probably lose out on some electives. I lost electives for paternity time.

I don't know anyone that offers free day care because that would be incredibly expensive, but many places have emergency daycare services at the hospital for staff (not just residents) that have something come up last minute. But you have to pay for it. And they can't go there if they're sick. And they're always sick. My residency also came with the opportunity to use a vetted babysitting service, but it cost like $14/hour for sitting. And you only got 10 visits per year at that rate. But it at least helps a little when they have a fever and can't go to daycare. But they're not going to show up at 6AM when you need to leave to go pre-round.

And child care is not a women's work issue -- it's an issue for anyone with a family and two careers. We spend > $5000/month for our two kids to go to daycare, which we had to start during fellowship when that was a huge chunk of our salaries. When the kids are sick, everyone has to make sacrifices. Having family in town would be a huge help, but we never had that.

Targeted support for the advancement of women's careers in neurology is a great question that I don't know the answer to. You might start by looking for department's with a lot of women in leadership positions, which could suggest that the overall culture is more egalitarian if not particularly focused on career development for women.

Reactions: 3 users
Wired Entropy,

All I can offer is that Mayo Clinic Arizona has mostly female residents. So I would think they would be understanding of the perspective of female doctors. My girlfriend said I couldn't go there......

Reactions: 1 user
Pick a residency with mostly guys, so that you as a girl can get special treatment.

Reactions: 1 user