Women and Makeup ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I use Cetaphil, which you can get without a prescription. Burts Bees banana hand cream is also great, but is a bit greasy.

Any chance you have a thyroid hormone deficiency? That can cause super dry and flaky skin.

It's possible. I was tested for a whole bunch of things last year (including thyroid hormones) and everything came back negative.

Dry skin just runs in my family...the best way I've come up with to cope for the time being is to chug water like some people chug beer.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a really Irish complexion: pale skin but ruddy/reddish skin on my nose and the apples of my cheeks. I usually have to wear concealer to cover the red that doesn't match the rest of my face.

I also have pores that you could drive a Mac truck into... I used Biore pore reducing blahbitty blah but it didn't work. I have to literally smear makeup over my pores until they're full of makeup and then put makeup over that or you can see the pores like dozens of holes in my face. SO GROSS.

Help! :(

Chalk me up to another Bare Minerals and MAC lover.

In the winter, when my skin is dry, I moisturize with Lubriderm Sensitive Skin Therapy (lanolin allergy) and wear Prescriptives Foundation (only one that's light enough for my skin of traditional foundations) and Prescriptives Magic Powder. In the summer I'll wear Bare Minerals Fairly Light since I generally have a bit more color to my skin and it's oilier and I like the powder foundation.

I wear MAC blush, lipstick, and eyeshadow (yay for the professional palate), which seem to last fairly long. (I only wear MAC eyeliner for evening.) For mascara, I LOVE Lancome, plus my mom gives it to me from her free bags, so I don't have to buy it. I use Estee Lauder eyebrow cake...I don't think they make it anymore. My mom had used up all the light brown in her old one, so I got the dark brown side of it! I heard, when I worked at Macy's last summer, that Fashion Fair has cake now, but other than that it is hard to find these days. (Most places have pencils.)

This is a fun thread! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this thread's been dead a while, and I have only worn make-up twice in the past year, but I've got a question:

My skin is INSANELY dry. I mean, even washing it daily makes it crack, flake, and peel.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, yet fairly inexpensive moisturizer that won't make me feel oily? I was using Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear, though it was a) semi-glittery and b) smelled weird. Right now I'm using Vaseline, but that's a little too heavy...and it's technically a hand lotion anyway.

I'm looking for a face lotion and something for the rest of my body that isn't very greasy. Like I said, I would also appreciate something relatively inexpensive, as I'm living on a student budget.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

So I used to use the old Dermalab, which came in the ugliest brown container, but it was great, since I have dry skin, too, especially in the winter. My skin has oiled up with age, though. I use Lubriderm Sensitive Skin Therapy, as I said in my last post. It's pretty light in texture, no fragrance, and doesn't have lanolin, which breaks me out.

Here's the link to the new Dermalab. I haven't used it since they made the package change, though.

http://www.dermalab.com/moisturize-it%C3%82%E2%84%A2-p-4.html

You may also want to consider that it's something in your detergent, soap, lotion etc that's causing your dry skin. My skin gets dry, red, and flaky from staying in a hotel overnight with scented sheets. I use Tide Free and Basis soap. (Both of which you can get a Wal-Mart.)

I have a really Irish complexion: pale skin but ruddy/reddish skin on my nose and the apples of my cheeks. I usually have to wear concealer to cover the red that doesn't match the rest of my face.

Help! :(

Ha! That sounds familiar! I once had a doctor tell me I had rosacea and I could "fix that". I wanted to say "No, that's called being Irish. Would you like to "fix" a black person's color, too?" We don't all have to be Newscaster beige!

Other people think it's cute, and I do too, sometimes, but does anyone have any suggestions for shrinking pores? It's heinous.

I use Estee Lauder eyebrow cake...I don't think they make it anymore. My mom had used up all the light brown in her old one, so I got the dark brown side of it! I heard, when I worked at Macy's last summer, that Fashion Fair has cake now, but other than that it is hard to find these days.

have you tried smashbox? they have this great powder/wax combo that's FABULOUS! def check it out. i think you'll like it.

I have decided to do a case study experiment.

I will treat the right side of my face with all available pore-reducing products and compare it to the left side of my face after a month.

Treatments will include:

Biore pore-cleanings strips every other day
Daily use of Biore Pore Refining Cleanser
Biore Pore Reducing lotion, daily
got2b in your face "groovy peelin" peel masque every other day

Wish me and my pores luck!

"Maddie"

I have decided to do a case study experiment.

I will treat the right side of my face with all available pore-reducing products and compare it to the left side of my face after a month.

Treatments will include:

Biore pore-cleanings strips every other day
Daily use of Biore Pore Refining Cleanser
Biore Pore Reducing lotion, daily
got2b in your face "groovy peelin" peel masque every other day

Wish me and my pores luck!

"Maddie"

Good luck!

You need to trade up from Clean N Clear.
Neutrogena makes great products. Try neutrogena healthy skin. It's a great moisturizer.

I was tired of my makeup being gone at the end of the day, because I never have time to touch up.

Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra is a foundation that lasts 14 hours...it solved my problem.

Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra is a foundation that lasts 14 hours...it solved my problem.

MAC's studiofix fluid is WONDERFUL for this as well, imo. stays on forever, doesn't look thick, and great coverage without looking makeup-y.

A few guidelines to looking great when you can't get anough sleep, lol. Have your teeth bleached. That way, your smile looks great just with a little burt's bees gloss (I really don't think lipstick is necessary in day time). I had my eyeliner tattooed on years ago. Perfect smile and ready eyeliner, coupled with good skin care means I wake up ready to go (except for hair)! I swear by MaryKay's anti aging skin care line, the microdermabrasion kit would be worth every penny at 5 times the cost! For make up, I like Jane Iredale foundation, Dior Show mascara (no other brand is any good at all) Chanel lipstick (every woman should have Chanel lipstick), with bare minerals loose powder. In my experience, it doesn't matter much what eye or cheek color brands you use if the color is right. Get an expert to help you find the right color and change it as the seasons change. What looks right on pale winter skin will look silly on a summer tan, and vice versa.

And get a good haircut. Ponytails are for children, not professionals. My pet peeve, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never used to use foundation b/c I have a really hard-to-match complextion. I'm brown, but with very olive/yellowish undertones. The tan shades in most lines are way too dark. Most brands I've tried, from the cheapie to the crazy-expensive, made me look orange. I recently found Everyday Minerals, and they have a TON of different shades, with a really good range of undertones. They also have different finishes for their mineral foundation, from the original (kinda shimmery) to a completely matte finish. No, I don't own stock in the company. I typically use brown/bronze eyeshadow shades w/ purple eyeliner and purple in the crease.

Now my problem: I can't find a good shade of lipstick! I usually tend to pick brownish-pink shades, but I would love to find a good red lipstick for when I'm feeling sexy. Raisin/wine shades make my thin lips disappear. Most shades I've tried either look orange on me or makes it look like I'm a vampire. Any other women of color have suggestions for a good shade of red?

I've tried the Smashbox primer before and I really like it. My daughter keeps "borrowing" mine, though. Heard good things about the NARS primer. I think that one's next on my list.

For skincare, I actually like to mix it up myself. There's a company called Skin Actives Scientific on the internet that sells the individual active ingredients plus different base lotions or creams. You pick the problem you want to address and the active ingredient for it, and mix it up. Saves money, but more importantly, it's fun to make your own potions! My goal is to one day make my own perfume, but I haven't had the time to really research the process.

Last edited:
wow - we've got SERIOUS makeup discussion here all of a sudden - I LOVE IT! dont' forget bobbi brown gel liner too - that stuff stays on all day AND night. i just love it.

nars, I went to the Sephora website to check out the lipsticks you recommended. I actually really like the Manhunt shade (what a name, huh?) I like the fact that it's sheer so I can ease into red without feeling like I'm non-verbally screaming "look at my lips, yo!" I think I'm going to have to drive down to the Sephora here and try it.

Reactions: 1 user
For everyday I use vaguely tinted lip gloss, tinted moisturizer, and a little pressed powder one shade lighter than my skin tone. There are antibacterial pressed powders, I recommend those.

For important stuff like meetings where I want to look extra nice, I use a little mineral blush and brown mascara too.

I very rarely wear more makeup than that.

For those of a darker complexion, I have found that Valana Minerals actually has mineral makeup that doesn't look chalky. It also comes in my shade, which is very hard to find off of the shelf. Their sample foundation set is pretty reasonably priced, too.

Last edited:
is valana matte? i really want to try mineral foundations, but they often come out so glittery...eek! i'll look into everyday minerals as someone mentioned as well, but never heard of valana, so i'm curious!

i love the "turn" this thread took - with no haters!!! no one says we can't be pretty and polished women in medicine! the world needs more of us! ;)

is valana matte? i really want to try mineral foundations, but they often come out so glittery...eek! i'll look into everyday minerals as someone mentioned as well, but never heard of valana, so i'm curious!

i love the "turn" this thread took - with no haters!!! no one says we can't be pretty and polished women in medicine! the world needs more of us! ;)

What I'm kinda concerned about is dressing in pretty, fashionable clothes without looking overly sexy or like I'm not to be taken too seriously. It's been awhile since I've had to wear "work" clothes, and lately when I go shopping the clothes look too trendy and not professional--maybe I'm going to the wrong stores, though. I don't want to look like a woman wearing men's clothes, though. Anyone have any suggestions? There was a thread on women's interview wear in pre-allo, but everyone seemed to advocate the cookie-cutter look. I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to wear colorful clothes that are cut for women.

no one says we can't be pretty and polished women in medicine! the world needs more of us! ;)

Well... one might wonder why women can't be pretty and polished *without* plastering their faces with unnecessary chemicals that settle in all the pores and creases.

A face has to be pretty bad before painting it over is any kind of improvement. Especially at close range.

But hey, it's not my face. Carry on, girls. Estee Lauder needs your money!
:thumbup:

Well... one might wonder why women can't be pretty and polished *without* plastering their faces with unnecessary chemicals that settle in all the pores and creases.

A face has to be pretty bad before painting it over is any kind of improvement. Especially at close range.

But hey, it's not my face. Carry on, girls. Estee Lauder needs your money!
:thumbup:

I agree with you for the most part. I like my antibacterial powder to help absorb the oil my face produces during the day though.

I agree with you for the most part. I like my antibacterial powder to help absorb the oil my face produces during the day though.

I totally agree. I take very good care of my skin using organic, all natural, chemical-free products (in recycled packaging!!) I use Lush's Queen of hearts cleanser, tea tree water toner, and celestial moisturizer. My skin is perfect and has a wonderful glow. I never feel the need to wear makeup. A bit of sunscreen and some Burts Bees pomegranate chap stick and I'm good to go. I think you can still look glowing and professional without slopping gunk on your face. Take care of your skin and you will look great!

Sometimes I use a little mascara because I like how it brightens my eyes, but I either wind up smudging the non waterproof kind or i can't get the waterproof kind off!!

When I do wear even a little makeup, it's more for myself than to really look different, anyway. Usually I only wear it if I have something important, and it helps me feel like I did everything to prepare.

For classes and stuff I'm lucky if I even get time to shower.

For the record, I think more males should learn the value of a good moisturizer and a little matte powder as well. And especially a minimal pedicure for hygiene at least. Yeesh, is all I can say to the way guys take care of their skin and nails.

I've definitely noticed that women who wear less makeup tend to have better skin. Of course there's no way to know for sure which is cause and which is effect, but it seems logical that spackling your skin would make you more prone to break out.

Skin just isn't meant to be smothered with crap. I don't care how many times the manufacturers slap terms like 'natural!' 'mineral!' 'organic!' on their labels. If pressed powder were good for your skin you would have evolved your own a long time ago.

Skin is a flexible organ finely tuned by thousands of years of evolution. It secretes its own natural oils, which lubricate and protect it.

So women deplete those oils with toners or astringents, then replace them with an artificial moisturizer that does a suboptimal job, then cover the whole surface with an airtight layer of foundation and powder, and then they wonder why their pores get plugged up and infected. Uh-oh, better go buy some more products to fix that problem!

Well I evolved my own eczema, so it must be good for my skin ;)

This type of makeup is not glittery at all. It blends in very well. It kind of melts into the skin, so you don't notice it's on after a while. I know it covers well, because I've had compliments on how nice my skin is, though I know I have dark splotches due to acne scarring. I've noticed that my skin isn't breaking out, though it could be for other reasons than the makeup.

I have to warn you that the eye shadow is the full pigment and a little goes a long way. ;) I actually use one of the foundation samples for eye shadow, because of this.

It's a small business, and they like to use organic or vegan ingredients, as well.

No, I'm not related to/working for these people, but the stuff is doing its job for me. I like to share.

I really like Revlon, it lasts longer and has no after effects on my skin.

I've definitely noticed that women who wear less makeup tend to have better skin. Of course there's no way to know for sure which is cause and which is effect, but it seems logical that spackling your skin would make you more prone to break out.

Skin just isn't meant to be smothered with crap. I don't care how many times the manufacturers slap terms like 'natural!' 'mineral!' 'organic!' on their labels. If pressed powder were good for your skin you would have evolved your own a long time ago.

Skin is a flexible organ finely tuned by thousands of years of evolution. It secretes its own natural oils, which lubricate and protect it.

So women deplete those oils with toners or astringents, then replace them with an artificial moisturizer that does a suboptimal job, then cover the whole surface with an airtight layer of foundation and powder, and then they wonder why their pores get plugged up and infected. Uh-oh, better go buy some more products to fix that problem!

Are you a man? Or do you live under a rock? You obviously have no idea about skincare. Toners are not always these burning, oil removing things. Moisturizers are for those of us who would otherwise have dry, cracked, skin. If I stop using moisturizer my eczema flares, is that a better alternative? Not every woman wears makeup either.....I don't even own any! Please don't respond to a post if you are going to say such ridiculous things.

Beautiful skin does not just happen. You need to eat properly and take proper care of it. People naturally have drier/oilier skin and need to take care of it accordingly. I don't believe in putting chemicals on me or in me. (and I'm sure I'm the the only person out there) Because of what I eat and what I use my skin is prefect. Skin care is as necessary as teeth care. Since we didn't evolve teeth that brush themselves should we stop?

Beautiful skin does not just happen... Because of what I eat and what I use my skin is perfect.

I get compliments on my skin all the time, and all I do is rinse it off in the shower. No products, no nothing. (I've also gotten complimented on "eye makeup" that I wasn't wearing.)

Sure if there's a pre-existing problem that is present without a product and clears up with the product, then great, use the product. Fine.

But I suspect most women who use lots of products on their skin haven't ever tried to see what would happen if they didn't.

I get compliments on my skin all the time, and all I do is rinse it off in the shower. No products, no nothing. (I've also gotten complimented on "eye makeup" that I wasn't wearing.)

Lucky you. Not all of are homozygous for the Awesome gene.

Lucky you. Not all of are homozygous for the Awesome gene.

OK, whatever. My point is I think it's more about not clogging one's pores with makeup than the Awesome Gene. I have a good friend who had a lovely complexion until she started wearing makeup on a regular basis. Then all of a sudden she had 'problem skin.' I don't think her genetics were the issue.

I think it depends on where you spend most of your time.

I spend quite a bit of time outside and in barns, so makeup doesn't matter much. However, when it's cold or hot outside, I have to take my skin under consideration. If you are in a situation where makeup is not going to be noticed or won't be staying on long anyway, (Say, when you're arm deep in a cow, she farts and you have to do an eye wash.;)) it is fine to not wear any at all. My skin is naturally combination, so I do use products to help clear it up. When I do wear makeup, I like it to blend with my skin tone and not be too obvious.

There is also the protective barrier against smells that leech into the skin and hair. (Like, I don't know... the morgue, or... a swine farm:rolleyes:) When I'm going somewhere gross, I add a layer of protection like a liquid foundation, so that I can wash off the smell, later.

I'm sure you guys have different environments to think about, as well.

Last edited:
is it just me, or is the new l'oreal "tubes" mascara amazing? it looks like I have fake lashes on.

I totally agree. I take very good care of my skin using organic, all natural, chemical-free products (in recycled packaging!!) I use Lush's Queen of hearts cleanser, tea tree water toner, and celestial moisturizer. My skin is perfect and has a wonderful glow. I never feel the need to wear makeup. A bit of sunscreen and some Burts Bees pomegranate chap stick and I'm good to go. I think you can still look glowing and professional without slopping gunk on your face. Take care of your skin and you will look great!

Sometimes I use a little mascara because I like how it brightens my eyes, but I either wind up smudging the non waterproof kind or i can't get the waterproof kind off!!

Everyone has different skin and some of us don't look awesome even with a great skin regimen. I use Lush products and while I love what they have done to my skin they certainly haven't elevated it to "no need for makeup" land. Without a primer over my moisturizer my skin gets crazy oily, I'm also super pale so any blotchyness or acne stands out like crazy (and I still get hormonal acne even with a great skin regimen). Not to mention the purple under my eyes. Or the part of my eybrows that is thinner than the rest on both sides. Or the fact that without eyeliner my eyes just don't pop. I don't glop it on but a little bit really goes a long long way for me. I wear a primer, some concealer on problem spots, some powder and blush, eyeliner and eyebrow powder. My skin is no better without makeup and I know this because I didn't wear for much of my first two years of medschool.

As for brands:
Recently fell in love with benefit's primer called "that gal" (still need to try smashbox's for comparison, but better than Bare Escentuals primer)
Also currently crushing on benefit's coralista blush (also love classics like Nars and Dior)
Lip gloss is hands down philosophy's kiss me (diorgloss for dress up, too many sparkles for work)
Sephora's brand of powder foundation and eyeliner are great and cheap
Clinique concealer is the best I found so far.
Anastasia brow powder has the color that matches me best

I totally recommend going to a sephora if you have one nearby because you can play with multiple brands and find the colors that are best for you. Department stores with the different counters make this much harder to do.

OMG... i don't even wanna get into this. TONS of questions :( so, i'll just leave it at MAC :D bit pricy... but, worth EVERY cent ;) i'm surprised this thread's NOT a sticky :shrug: