WMed vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WMed vs VCU

• WMed

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • VCU

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

wannabemd216

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
WMed
Pros
  • I loved the vibe on interview day. I liked the small class size, their state-of-the-art simulation lab, and their match list/test scores look very good for a new school. I feel like the faculty really seem to care about students succeeding.
  • I also think Kalamazoo looks like a super fun town and I would be close to some family in Detroit/Chicago. (Although my S.O. is willing to move to either location).
  • I like the way the academic calendar is scheduled to have one week breaks throughout the first two years as opposed to having a whole summer off.

Cons
  • The weather- I am from CA and I know the winters will be tough to adjust to.
  • Newer school, which means less name recognition/prestige and potentially less research opportunities.

VCU
Pros
  • I also really enjoyed my interview day and all the faculty/students I talked to. Their match list/test scores are impressive.
  • Better ranked/established school. They have great facilities (especially their nationally-ranked children's hospital- I am hoping to match into pediatrics).
  • Richmond also seems like a cool place to live with better winters.

Cons
  • I won't have family or friends as close by as if I went to WMed.
  • VCU's academic calendar does not have the scattered one week break options (I know this is how most medical school calendars are structured) and I feel like I will have less of a small school/community feel with VCU.

Summary: I just got off the WL at VCU and up until today I had mentally committed to WMed. My S.O. and I had already settled on an apartment and I still really think WMed gave me such an amazing impression and it seems like a great school. After getting off the waitlist at VCU, however, I am just wondering if I should strongly consider VCU due to it being a more established program. VCU's tuition is also slightly cheaper (not much, but still around $5000- $6000 less a year). I also want to go to the school that will help me match back into CA for residency. Any comments/insight/advice is much appreciated to help with my decision!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I will be attending VCU AND im also from CA

My choice is VCU here. Given that it is cheaper, more established, has a new children's hospital and the fact that Richmond is a pretty darn cool city, I think it would be a better fit for you. Also, if you ever change your mind regarding your speciality choice and want to pursue something more competitive, VCU with its numerous home residency programs will make your life a whole lot easier. Not to mention that it will probably be a whole lot easier to get research at VCU than at WMed.

But a big thing I think, especially since we are Californians, is the weather. idk about you but cold cold weather does not jive with me.

I attended the VCU admitted students day and felt that the faculty also really wants us to succeed and they really stressed a collaborative environment.

Overall, better weather, more resources AND cheaper? VCU hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: I will be attending VCU AND im also from CA

My choice is VCU here. Given that it is cheaper, more established, has a new children's hospital and the fact that Richmond is a pretty darn cool city, I think it would be a better fit for you. Also, if you ever change your mind regarding your speciality choice and want to pursue something more competitive, VCU with its numerous home residency programs will make your life a whole lot easier. Not to mention that it will probably be a whole lot easier to get research at VCU than at WMed.

But a big thing I think, especially since we are Californians, is the weather. idk about you but cold cold weather does not jive with me.

I attended the VCU admitted students day and felt that the faculty also really wants us to succeed and they really stressed a collaborative environment.

Overall, better weather, more resources AND cheaper? VCU hands down.
Thank you so much for your response! After much consideration I will be choosing to attend VCU for medical school. I will see you in July!!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I could be of assistance haha, see ya in July!!

Non-VCU and non-WMed here, but I would agree, VCU > WMed. VCU is well-established and a great medical school, congratulations!