withholding USMLE Step 2 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jingojango

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

For those of you who decided to withhold your Step 2 scores during the interview process last year-were you asked about the results during the interview? Did the programs even know if you took the exam? What were your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

hi cant tell you about last year because i am applying with you this year but the advice I was given seems to work.
when asked why i have not taken step II I will answer
"because my medical school does not require it for graduation"
when asked when I will take step II I will answer
"after my electives are done" or something that effect.

This is actually the flipside of this topic, but do you know when is the latest you could take Step 2 to still be considered in the application process? I am thinking of taking it in early November, but since most programs have a deadline of November 30, I wasn't sure if this would be too late. I don't need to take Step 2, but my thinking was that if I do well, it might open some more doors. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by imwins
This is actually the flipside of this topic, but do you know when is the latest you could take Step 2 to still be considered in the application process? I am thinking of taking it in early November, but since most programs have a deadline of November 30, I wasn't sure if this would be too late. I don't need to take Step 2, but my thinking was that if I do well, it might open some more doors. Any thoughts?

i think that the best way to figure this out is to look at the web sites for the residencies to which you are applying and/or email the coordinators. just ask them when you have to post a score for step II by if at all. i did this with all 15 programs and one said they need it to rank me. luckily it is not high on my list so i just wont interview there. hope that helps!

I talked to multiple Program Directors, Student Advisors and Deans (Assistant Deans) and the VAST majority of them felt that withholding your Step II score is a very poor decision. They state that it appears that you are hiding something when all of the other candidates have theirs in and you don't. They want to see it to complete your application.

Also, if your school does require Step II for graduation and you lie and say they do not... just hope the interviewer doesn't call your bluff.

Originally posted by account90
I talked to multiple Program Directors, Student Advisors and Deans (Assistant Deans) and the VAST majority of them felt that withholding your Step II score is a very poor decision. They state that it appears that you are hiding something when all of the other candidates have theirs in and you don't. They want to see it to complete your application.

Also, if your school does require Step II for graduation and you lie and say they do not... just hope the interviewer doesn't call your bluff.

this is good advice, never lie in an interview. for me my school does not require it for graduation. also, why would you withold the score if u took the test? not taking it is different from witholding the scores

Originally posted by account90

first off, how would a school even know if you have taken step 2 if you do not let them know explicitly or if you don't submit the resubmit option on ERAS.

secondly, most medical schools do not require you to take the exam right after 3rd year. so one could easily say, "i am taking it after i finish electives in jan/feb of 4th year." YOU DO NOT NEED STEP 2 TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION! I am not sure why your deans said this...

step 2 is really not pivotal for the residency process with the exception of certain higher end schools that may want to see it...or if you are an IMG...or if you do really well and want show residency programs that you are good at standardized testin to make up for a low step 1...

Our med school dean wants everyone to be done by the end of October. He feels that this will allow a student to enjoy his/her senior year more and maybe help their application. If you know you are taking it early and programs will see the result you are bound to take it more seriously.

I hope this plan works for me as I took it early October.