Withdraws on transcripts and the carribeans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT_MAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have quite a few w's on my transcript already. I was very uneducated as to how the admission process for medical school works. I was under the impression that if you had a great GPA and MCAT scores you could get into med school. I thought undergrad was a way to prepare you for med school so once you got in, everything was smooth sailing from then on. I was making a lot of B+ at my community college and we all know community colleges don't give out 3.4 quality points for a B+, they only give out 3.0 quality points. This really hurt my GPA. If I was getting B+'s at a university, I would have a 3.4 GPA instead of a 3.0. So, I dropped the classes I was making b's in and I retook them because I knew I could make A's in them. Well, I've made A's in all the classes I've retook ,but I'm not so sure now it was a wise thing to do. Tell me what you guys think. My GPA is currently a 3.56. Do I have a chance at one of the top 4 carribean schools if I have a good gpa and mcat scores even though I have quite a few w's?

Summer semester: student success skills- B

Fall: english composition 1-w
college algebra-w
psychology-w

Spring: english comp 1- A
college algebra-A
psychology-A
intro to chemistry-A

Summer: Trigonometry-B
precalculus-A
american government-A

Fall: Calculus 1- B
gen chem 1- B
Spanish 1-w
humanities- w
Bio 1-w

Spring: Bio 1- A
Speech-A
english composition 2-B
gen chem 2-B

summer : Humanities-A
macroeconomics-B

Fall: Bio 2 - in progress
physics 1- in progress
spanish 1- in progress
statistics- w
anatomy and physiology-w

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that carib schools were about second chances without all the BS about W's as long as your GPA is good and MCAT isn't too bad. I'd say if you can pull a good MCAT you'll get into the top carib school.

You'll find medical schools don't give you 3.4 for B+ but they chop them down to 3.0s also even for universities

You would have to explain why you chose to withdraw instead of continue and how you will succeed without withdrawing in medical school. Other than that and a good interview, all you need is a respectable MCAT score to have a great shot at the top 4.

I thought that carib schools were about second chances without all the BS about W's as long as your GPA is good and MCAT isn't too bad. I'd say if you can pull a good MCAT you'll get into the top carib school.

You'll find medical schools don't give you 3.4 for B+ but they chop them down to 3.0s also even for universities

Are you serious? I thought they weighed grades on a more weighted scale. This blows. My transcript looks like somoene took a dump on it. I am going to have to ace everything form here on ouy and not drop any more classes.