Withdrawing from a spot after the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

task

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Ophtho forum and had a question about your match process.

If a candidate matches and then subsequently decides they don't want to do Ophtho, what is their recourse -- how can they withdraw?

From what I've heard, since the match result is a binding thing, it must be somewhat of a pain in the butt to do so?

I guess a program doesn't want someone there who doesn't want to be there, so why not let them out of the match agreement, right?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by task
I'm new to the Ophtho forum and had a question about your match process.

If a candidate matches and then subsequently decides they don't want to do Ophtho, what is their recourse -- how can they withdraw?

From what I've heard, since the match result is a binding thing, it must be somewhat of a pain in the butt to do so?

I guess a program doesn't want someone there who doesn't want to be there, so why not let them out of the match agreement, right?

Any thoughts?

I didn't want to answer this question, but here goes. First, I think the application process is so involved that I cannot understand why an individual would want to change their mindsafter the match. However, this is not my place to judge.

Second, if you decide to quit, then you must speak to the program director. Most contracts are renewed on a yearly basis. Thus, you may be obligated for a year (particularly at smaller programs where an individual who quits will completely mess up the call schedule for the first year class). If the program feels that they can find a replacement, then they may let you go before you start.

This is not an easy thing to do, but there have been a few who have quit or got booted out by the program.