Withdrawing Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessUMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the official way to withdraw your application? Do you just call the school directly and tell them? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

OR you one of the lucky one's has a acceptance letter.

Most schools prefer a phone call to let them know that you're officially withdrawing your application.

Or you could just email the office of admission staff and ask them to withdraw your application

jessUMD said:
Does anyone know the official way to withdraw your application? Do you just call the school directly and tell them? Thanks
for my med schools, initially i called them thinking that would take care of business but 2 of them requested i write a formal letter and sign it before they would officially withdraw my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be inclined to send a formal postal-mail letter, signed and dated and all that, just to make it nice and official. I guess it would give me a feeling of closure to think of that last piece of paper being put into my file (before the whole thing gets tossed into the circular file (assuming it hasn't already)), but I don't see any reason not to try letting them know by phone, email, carrier pigeon, or in person.

hrm can i charge a school for withdrawing?...

I withdrew from 5 schools. Some of them wanted signed letters, some required a call to the admissions office, and some accepted an email. I also recieved confirmation that I was withdrawn from all but one school.

Yea, I am going to do the same tomorow. If I get accepted to my number one school. Hopefully it will make it easier for those who are waiting.

rocknightmare said:
hrm can i charge a school for withdrawing?...

why not? or at least demand a refund for all the monies spent... i cannot believe how expensive this whole process is. i think i know the reason why everyone thinks all physicians/dentists are rich - not becuase they earn so much, but because they had to have been independantly wealthy to even apply!! :D

doc_dent said:
I withdrew from 5 schools. Some of them wanted signed letters, some required a call to the admissions office, and some accepted an email. I also recieved confirmation that I was withdrawn from all but one school.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I was invited to an interview at WA and I want to withdraw my application from them. I called and left a message a while back with them because they have a different biochemistry requirement that most schools. Basically I said that I couldn't find a second class to fill it and therefore please remove me, but they didn't and sent me a letter for an invite. doh*

Anyway with 2 acceptances now, I feel pretty confident in these two schools, (whether or not) and if I get more I still don't see me making their biochem. requirement.

Does anybody thinks it would make a big difference if I just called instead of sending a formal letter. I think it is a good idea to open up spots for others ASAP.