Withdrawal from the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katzy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started a surgery subI and really, really love it. The problem is i applied to match in another field. i only ranked three places. i love surgery and want to know how if i do match how to not accept a position and get ready for a scramble for a categorical position. the staff and residents say it is possible but are not sure how it is done. i spoke with my dean earlier and she did not offer much support. i would appreciate any advice one can give. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As I recall, you're contractually obligated to accept your match. You might still be able to withdraw, but you'd better contact the NRMP pretty fast. Good luck.

9.10 Withdrawals by either applicants or programs are not possible after the deadline date for submission of Rank Order Lists.

All I can say is:
1. "Hope" that you don't match.

2. Barring that, call the three programs Monday, and tell them about your change of heart, and NICELY ask if they will cut you loose, if you happen to match there (you have a 1 in 3 chance), so you can scramble. They'll be a little testy because they won't know until Thursday, so they can't fill your spot during the scramble. That is why you have to be NICE. If you cop a 'tude, or demand that you be released, all they have to say is "no", and you're bound tight.

2a. Make sure you get the names of the people at the programs you applied to, to ensure that the person releasing you has the authority.

3. Provided they give you the imprimatur, you can scramble; if programs ask about matching elsewhere (which they probably won't, since it's reasonable that people scrambling have either withdrawn, not matched, or didn't participate), tell them that you are released.

4. Obtain a spot.
4a. Obtain psych consult as to why you want to be a surgeon ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Apollyon
2. Barring that, call the three programs Monday, and tell them about your change of heart, and NICELY ask if they will cut you loose, if you happen to match there (you have a 1 in 3 chance), so you can scramble. They'll be a little testy because they won't know until Thursday, so they can't fill your spot during the scramble. That is why you have to be NICE. If you cop a 'tude, or demand that you be released, all they have to say is "no", and you're bound tight.

PD's find out on Tuesday who has matched at their institution. That's straight from a PD's mouth.

Good eye...thanks for the update.

That might make your task a little easier, unless, for unknown and cryptic reasons, each PD might play dumb and tell you that they don't know if you matched there or not. However, the places where you didn't match might be a little more forgiving in letting you off (since they already know that you won't be there anyways).

SO, how did it work out?

i didn't match. so today i am preparing to find a place in surgery. pretty excited about it and i hope i end up at a good place. thanks for all the advice. i will be sure to tell everybody how it works out. gee..... never thought i would be in this place 4 years ago

Good luck! We're pullin' for you.