With what age did you graduate from veterinary medecine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B vet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Vets and veterinary students. I am from Brazil and I was wondering how old do people graduate from veterinary medecine in USA. I am 26 and already graduated, and I am going to start a Master degree with veterinary clinics and surgery, and I was wondering if I was too old to apply for an internship in USA with 28 or 29.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated when I was 38 - almost 39 - years old, but that's not common here. Most US and Canadian vet students graduate when they are in their mid-to-late 20s (25-28 years old would be my guess).

28 or 29 is not too old to apply for an internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am aware of that. I´ve done 3 externships during my vet school vacations.

Not too old, but old? What is the average age of the students that apply for an internship?

I´ve been at Tuft´s University and Loved it. How competetive are the internships? I saw other threads about that but nobody seems to know really how competetive they are, they just say competetive.

Not too old, but old? What is the average age of the students that apply for an internship?

It doesn't matter what the average age is. You don't compete based on age, it's not even listed in the application. Quit worrying about age.

How competetive are the internships? I saw other threads about that but nobody seems to know really how competetive they are, they just say competetive.

Last year, the match rate for intern applicants through the VIRMP was about 57% if that helps you get a better idea.

Thank you. I won´t worry about that anymore! I thought it was an issue. We graduate here with 23/24 because we get in with 18.