With Stats like this..What Post-bacc should I pursue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. McFarlen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Double in 'Mathematics' and 'Applied Math and Statistics'

Science GPA = 3.21
N-Science GPA = 3.58
Cum = 3.34

GRE 750M 650V
MCAT 10P 10B 10V S

So now my question is, which should I shoot for? Programs like Georgetown that gives me a Masters, or a post bacc somewhere like UPENN or Harvard Extension?

ALso, what are my chances for both cases, and does Harvard Extension have any linkage with any school like UPENN does?

Thanks guys for any responses!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into an SMP like Georgetown. You have a good MCAT (and isn't your GRE even better? I'm not sure how that the percentiles for those work) and a marginal BCPM GPA. My understanding is that SMPs can show that you are capable of handling the rigors of a medical school curriculum - something a low BCPM allegedly contradicts. (I don't believe that it does anything of the sort as plenty of people with poor BCPM GPAs do fine in med school and especially because math is hard and I think you did well, but that's neither here nor there. The point is you need to show medical school admissions committees that you can handle the curiculum.) A strong showing there will bear fruit. Georgetown's SMP reports that 50-60% of their students attend an allopathic med school the following year and fully 85% eventually attend an allopathic med school. The average student for the current class at GT's SMP has ~3.3 and a 30. In other words: you. If you have questions about their program you can visit the yahoo discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios. In my experience Dr. Myers (the program chair) is thorough and prompt in his responses. A number of current and former students frequent this board and will often help you, as well. However, there are plenty of other good SMPs (Boston U, Loyola, Mt. Sinai; you can find a more comprehensive list here.)
Also, do you have any clinical ECs, research, etc.? Clinical ECs are much more important than research so please make sure you shore up those loose ends in your application.
I believe HES does not have any linkage programs, but it is well regarded so perhaps the administration has some kind of "under-the-table" linkages with some programs. I just don't know and this is wholly speculative. Or maybe they can just help you get your foot in the door at some med schools while other post-bac programs can do the same at other med schools. Penn seems like a very attractive program and I'm thinking of applying there, too.
There are a lot of options available to you, I'm sure others will have more pointed advice. I'm actually in a similar position as you (looking for post-bacs and SMPs. I'm almost positive I'll pursue an SMP simply because I'm a bit older than most of the people at SDN or other med school applicants - 25 - and I need to think about a degree that I can use in case I don't get into med school) and I'm looking for people to bounce ideas off of and get suggestions from. SDN has been great. And if you read through the old posts on this site you'll find a veritable treasure trove of information. It's been like a godsend for my godless soul. Good luck!

Have thought you of DO? You're stats are pretty good in my opinion.