With Canadian Surgical Residency, Can I practice in U.S?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if I do my general surgery residency in Canada, and then decide to practice in U.S, can I do this? Does U.S recognize Canadian training, or would I have to re-do my residency in America?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties Forum for expert opinion.

AFAIK, you can:

1) work in the US
2) be Board Eligible/Certified in Surgery
3) be a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)

as long as you have completed an ACCREDITED surgery residency in the US or Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my surgery residency in Canada and did my ABS (American Board of Surgery). I could work in the US if i wanted. Some states require that you do the USMLEs if you haven't already done them but most don't even require that. They do require that you have passed the Canadian Royal College exams if you did your residency in Canada though; this exam is as hard as/harder than the ABS.

I heard it is different for Neurosurgery...is this correct?

I heard it is different for Neurosurgery...is this correct?

I don't have any hard evidence for you but I do remember an article 5-6 years ago stating that 2 or 3 neurosurgical residents in Canada could not find work after finishing their residency so they went to the US. This implies that their training was accepted as equivalent.